Slow Library Computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I logged on while there to look up something. The machine requires you log on with your card # & pswrd. Then gives you a W10 desktop. I opened FF & four tabs. No ad, script or pop-up controls. "Progress" quickly screached to a snail's pace.

Lenovo AIO 10160? running Pent. J2900 x4 core @ 2.46GHz.
4GM RAM installed (?????); W10 Ent 64-bit.
TM revealed 62 proc, 834 threads & 24,465 handles, consuming 1.9/3.9Gb.
CPU % usage: 70 - 81 - 84 - etc.

Absolutely worthless.....and unresponsive.

These were bought NEW last year when the library re-opened. The Dell SFF Optiplex, i3 boxes were MUCH faster running W7. Yet they were all donated to GoodWill and replaced with #$%^!

Geesh.......

/rant

Makes no sense whatsoever. IMO it's all the levels of security nannies that they run.

Quote:

..some bureaucrats idea of an upgrade ....BC its not their money their blowing.

Or maybe librarians don't know tech; no chance of that. Should they have bought bigger more expensive ones?

If someone has the experience to make it better, then jump in and make it better. Many libraries get donated computers (new and used) from companies (like our local library) Ask the librarian how they made the decisions and offer to help next time.

Yes, slow computers are frustrating.

They probably are leasing these from a private company. Engaging privately owned enterprises to manage your operations at a public department lowers the cost and improves performance.

Seen it done in a number of places. At least it was W10 and not XP running IE6.

CPU usage is high. Something is running in the background. At that point, if it stays that way all day then it will throttle CPU performance to keep it from burning itself up. It may be a good idea to investigate what's going on.

The internet was unresponsive or the computer was? That's not very many processes.

Also, which generation i3? Telling us that it was an i3 doesn't help, since a 6th gen is much different than a first gen.

Originally Posted By: Rand
most I3 are faster than j2900

From Ivybridge on, yea.

The number of processes, for Windows 10, isn't excessive, so there must be something else going on. The OP still hasn't responded whether the PC was running slow within the web browser or while navigating the OS. A slow internet connection will make even the best gaming PC seem slow.

The bottle-neck is the confuser, not the 'net.

They ditched the faster i3's in their previous Dell Optiplexes SFF machines and "upgraded" to the Lenovo j2900 machines. IOW, they chose "backwards". Tango Uniform.

CPU usage is high because it's running all the bravo sierra on four web pages as the browser has no script/ad blocker installed. I see none of this junk at home using FF + Ublock Origin. Another reason is disk cacheing, too little ram (only 700mb free) and all the OS stuff running in the background.

They even have their own IT guy, though I don't know if he chose the Lenovo's or not.

As for me, I take along my BlackMac 13" LT when I think about it. Runs circles around their machines.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Rand
most I3 are faster than j2900

From Ivybridge on, yea.

The number of processes, for Windows 10, isn't excessive, so there must be something else going on. The OP still hasn't responded whether the PC was running slow within the web browser or while navigating the OS. A slow internet connection will make even the best gaming PC seem slow.

Sandybridge i3 2100 passmark 3643
J2900 passmark 2068
1st Gen i3 530 passmark 2600

my answer was dependent on desktop processors since we were talking about desktops at the library.

Could be anything from spyware to slow internet.

I'd take a tablet to a free-wifi place over a library computer full of unknown programs/malware/etc

Around here tons of places have free wifi

everywhere from grocery store to chipotle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wheel
Many of the ones I've used in the 3 libraries near me are riddled with malware.

All of the libraries in my city were running very, very old hardware loaded with Debian (in kiosk mode running only a browser) and did just fine. Stable and reliable. They just spent a bunch of money "upgrading" to newer hardware that runs Win10 at a snail's pace and has introduced all of the trouble you would expect. Sigh.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
who uses computers from a library?

Our libraries have tutors and homework clubs where a web browser and some simple word processing and printing is required. The underprivileged often have to use these public systems, too. I have been caught while travelling (and therefore unable to use data on my phone, lest I be subject to prohibitive roaming data charges from my Canadian cell service provider) needing to connect for one reason or another and have been very grateful that the library system wherever I am has free, public computers.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
All of the libraries in my city were running very, very old hardware loaded with Debian (in kiosk mode running only a browser) and did just fine. Stable and reliable. They just spent a bunch of money "upgrading" to newer hardware that runs Win10 at a snail's pace and has introduced all of the trouble you would expect. Sigh.
Yep...that's what happened here. Previously, they used Linux. My first experience with it and it was well maintained. He left and it all changed. A few ran W7, now all run W10 on the Lenovo's AIO machines.

They completely reset after you log off, so nothing is saved nor tracked. It's like starting over from scratch every time.

BTW, I use my local, community library a lot. Still rent DVD's, make copies for 0.05 cents, up to 11 x 17, use their custom subscriptions, databases, value line, morningstar, consumer reports, etc. I've also borrowed expensive technical books from college libraries all over the US. Makes sense.

I'll have a talk with the IT guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back