Grease packet that comes with Honda OEM brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some Honda brake pads and it came with a dark grey colored packet of grease? What did Honda intend this for?

That's typically for the brake pad ears where they slide within the abutment clips and also the caliper and piston contact points on the face of the brake pad shims. A very small amount is needed in all areas.

I typically use silicone grease instead, as with the slide pins. Some people use the silicone grease on the slide pins and then anti-seize at the pad ears.

If you ask me using any kind of grease on the caliper/pad contact points is just asking for trouble. All that brake pad dust and grease will turn into a solid mess impeding the free movement of the pad.

Why not clean the mating surfaces properly and leave it alone?

I believe the benefit is that the grease keeps rust down. The abutment clips as well as their cradles will rust, swell and effect pad travel.

Greasing the glide pins is self explanatory.

I've been using silicone grease with success.
When my stash runs out I'll use the packets then go buy the ceramic brake grease (Syl-Glide?) at any auto place. I believe Syl-Glide is NAPA's brand.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
If you ask me using any kind of grease on the caliper/pad contact points is just asking for trouble. All that brake pad dust and grease will turn into a solid mess impeding the free movement of the pad.

Because its metal on metal contact, and the pads will rust to the brackets, which is not good for break performance. Also, the piston rotates on several types of brake systems to account for brake pad wear. You dont want the piston to seize itself to the back of the pad.

The grease is there to combat rust and to fight squealing.

lubricate_calipers.jpg

mxbrfp31a_brake_pads_99_jimmy.jpg

The included Moly grease id applied between the shim and the pad backing plate, and also on the caliper "fingers" that contact the outboard pad. I do not believe Honda specifies grease on the pad ears.

The slide pins require a different grease.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Because its metal on metal contact, and the pads will rust to the brackets, which is not good for break performance. Also, the piston rotates on several types of brake systems to account for brake pad wear. You dont want the piston to seize itself to the back of the pad.

lubricate_calipers.jpg

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't know how it is state side, but all the pads that I ever purchased in the last 20 years have had a backing plate that was either coated in heat resistant polymer or heat resistant paint, so no rust in between the pad and the piston and no squealing either.

Never had problems with the pad mounts on the calipers either since I scrub the living daylights out of them with a small wire brush and if necessary a Scotch&Brite abrasive pad.

But again...not once a family car that we owned went past the 20 K miles without requiring new pads due to the nature of our traffic, and that's probably why I have never had a seized/rusted pad or piston.
smile.gif

do they salt roads with millions of tons of rock salt?

Historically they use between 10-20million tons per winter.

We dont have a rusting problem down in the deep south, but up north they salt the road which is tough on components.

It is so bad that the brackets and pins rust out completely. On Toyota split calipers you have to service them every 2 years or they seize up and then have to be replaced. Real PITA.

lubricate_calipers.jpg

+1 That's everywhere I put my grease. I use Sil-Glyde on the pins and everything else gets a very thin coat on the whatever comes in the packet. Never had any squealing or issues doing it this way.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The included Moly grease id applied between the shim and the pad backing plate, and also on the caliper "fingers" that contact the outboard pad. I do not believe Honda specifies grease on the pad ears.

The slide pins require a different grease.

Honda says silicone grease works fine in their FSMs, while Toyota and Subaru call for glycol grease. Although I've seen techs at the dealership use plain old lithium grease, but most of them had Dow Corning 4 for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back