P0741 Torque converter clutch stuck(replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky

Hey Guys

Well, this is bitter sweet. My first CEL on my 2005 Scion tC with about 169k miles. I've drained and filled the transmission starting at 30k every 15k with Toyota T-IV.

I was driving last week and this code came up. I checked my ATF levels and it was perfect. I don't suffer any performance issues and the shifting is as smooth as I remembered it after buying the car new. I've cleared it once and it has come back on after about 400 miles. Should I just live with it?

I was doing research and it could be electrical or a stuck solenoid. Any ideas on where this is located? I think I have to drop the transmission pan in order to find this. It's a good old Toyota 4 speed suto.

Thanks

Seems easy enough to test. Check it out and replace it if its defective. Forget step 2 that involves removing the TC. Check the wiring and connector first for breaks or corrosion.

Last edited:
Thanks, looks easy enough to get to. I guess I have to test all 5 of them!

Interesting tidbit, I had this happen on a saturn s-series and the fault was a $.59 o-ring on the snout of the transmission, that helped direct fluid into and out of the TC.

The car was occasionally shifting incredibly awkwardly, and stalling at traffic lights.

This may not be how your car is set up, and probably the worst case scenario. But still worth fixing.

Thanks. I'm just a bit worried as this car is in New England so rust might make this a bit more challenging. I'll be ordering a new gasket and pan just in case...

Maybe this is a time I might bring it to the dealer to have them check out.

Yes but expect the up sell, just decline all the additional services they try a shove on you.
The pans on these are not bad at all, use a small 1/4 drive cordless impact on the bolts to remove them they come right out, impact it slow to shock any possible stuck bolt loose, I never had one break or pull the threads using this tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back