Motorcycle filters - FRAM PH6017A or HiFlow HF204?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw a Fram at WM the other day and it looked decent. The HF is a $1 more but I can only get online. Is it worth it or will the Fram do just as good?

I've been using the HiFlo HF204 for some time now, on two different motorcycles. I've cut them open, and found nothing that surprised me.

I'll continue to use them in the future.

Only problem that I've ever had with an oil filter, was with a Fr*m. Never again, and I'll just leave it at that.

I have used the Fram 6017 on my Gold Wing for many thousands of trouble free miles. However, this is a VERY common filter. A quick check shows the following as a direct cross: AC PF 2135, PF 1237, WIX 51358, Supertech ST 6607, Puro PL 14612 & L-14612, Mobil M1-108. If you have the room (3.25" long) Puro PL 14610, Mobil M-1 108, the Fram TG & XG 7317, Napa 1356 and many others, Surely you'll find one you like.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Saw a Fram at WM the other day and it looked decent. The HF is a $1 more but I can only get online. Is it worth it or will the Fram do just as good?

I would run the HiFlo. They make OEM air filters for Yamaha and Suzuki (along with other OEMs) and they also manufactured K&N's powersport line of filters before K&N decided to have them manufactured in China and their quality dropped significantly. You can run them with confidence and they are probably the best bang for the buck powersport specific filters on the market.

P.S: If you wanted to spend more $ you could get the HF204RC which is the same synthetic media as K&N, has the same 17 mm nut for easier removal, and is also significantly cheaper than the Chinese K&N.

Thanks folks. I bought two of the HF204 and a few of the 6017's for the stash. I 'll also look into the HF204RC. I am coming up on the first oil change at 20 hours on the UTV so i'm not sure if its difficult to get to or not. That removal nut looks handy.

I prefer HiFlo Filtro 204 & 303 for use during riding season (2000 mile OCI x 2 per filter) & a less expensive filter for low mile OCI (late autumn, winter storage, early spring); in the past I have used Autolite 6607 (fram commercial filter...cross reference to 6607 & 6017) with little fanfare; since Autozone is dropping the Autolites I will be switching to SuperTech 9688 (made by Wix); using my last Autolite for several low mileage OCI's to flush out clutch after downshifting into 1st gear became difficult recently...

BTW...the new 6017's are 6607's at heart (slightly shorter can than previous 6017's); save yourself a few bucks and get the orange can 6607 or spend nearly the same as 6017 and get silver 6607 for longer OCI/better filtration

Thanks for the info! I also just found out that I have a bunch of filters for the Civic and Versa that should fit also. They are the Fram XG7317, Mann ML-1008 & Carquest R84356. Looks like they are about an inch longer and I have the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back