Drill/Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a Dewalt DC930 that I bought in 2007. Unfortunately, the battery is going bad. A replacement battery is more than $60.00, so I figure it would be best to just buy a new drill.

Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance

What type of use will you be giving it? I have been using the Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 18v hammer drill. The whole set up with one drill costs around what one battery for the Dewalt costs. It is sufficiently powerful for me, and the replacement batteries are cheap.

It might be worth looking into some local places that refurbish worn out batteries, assuming that's the only issue.

However, if I were in the market for a ~18V Lithium cordless tool set on the slightly higher end range, I'd be buying the Milwaukee M18 Fuel for sure.

Batteries always seem to be the limitation with these things. I'm not even sure why not buy a corded one then never have to deal with batteries. I'm currently looking for a corded light duty impact/driver also.

Rigid, their lifetime service agreement still covers replacing batteries. My 7-8 year old 1/2" 18V hammer drill still just works, with fine enough speed control to put in a few drywall screws, or enough power to drive 3/8" lag screws in high range...
I'm sure the rest of them are great but until they offer free replacement batteries, I'll never buy anything else.

I just recently bought a Rigid 18v hammer drill from HD for $160, and it is the latest greatest killer powerful brushless variety with light on the lower handle. This is more powerful than any drill, corded or not, I've ever owned. The lifetime warranty is just some gravy. You should check them out. By the way, spec wise, the M18 Fuel is listed at something like 750 lb/in and the Rigid is 725 lb/in.

I just got this one last week on clearance at Home Depot for $99. I dont need it as I have a couple of different Makita drills already but for that money its a no brainer, ever for $129 its a good buy.
Still on the same batteries since 2008 on some of them and no issues.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-18-Vol...PH012/205382798

Edit: Look in the clearance section first not just the tool section.

Last edited:
my old dewalt pre 2003 is on its fourth set of batteries and still keeps going. Buying a new one is no guarantee it wont be a lemon. I bought last few batteries on amazon ~$25 each. look up the OEM part# for compatibility. And You can pay extra for higher capacity cells but just go with the highest reviews.

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Do they ever discount just the Milwaukee M18 drill? I really dont have the need for the driver.

That's what I thought until I bought my Ridgid kit with the impact driver. Now I don't know what I ever did without it. It's far more useful than I ever thought it would be. It works much better than a drill for driving screws, especially into wood. Put a socket adapter on it and it becomes a mini impact gun, and ypu can switch between 1/4, 3/8, or 1/2 inch drive. I use it like this just about every time I work on something. I actually use the impact driver far more than the drill.

I bought that Milwaukee kit about two weeks ago, I was surprised when that impact driver removed a lug nut from my truck
smile.gif

it comes with their tiniest batteries, so for serious work an upgrade is necessary, the ones with the brushless motor would have been nice but for my needs I'm more than happy.

Thinking the same - I have an older Craftsman C3 kit and batteries kaput now (short run times). I only need one on occasion but thinking of getting something with li-ion battery instead of the NiMh the C3 came with.
Amazon recently had a Makita on a Daily Deals but I didn't pull the trigger on it then because I got busy doing other things, then wonder if I should wait for the holidays.

I didn't see a need, till I got one [impact]... now I use it more than the drill/driver. Now the drill/driver is relegated to only drilling and driving screws with more precision or less torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back