Certified CRV or Sante Fe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
What are the perks of the "Certified" label?

You sometimes get a basic warranty extension past what the original one was, and you usually get a powertrain warranty extension. It probably varies with each manufacturer. They're all similar, but I'm sure there are nuances to be found.

Yeah, I am kinda familiar with the Hyundai label (basically the re-up their 10 year warranty gig) but I do not know the Honda CPO perks. You made me look it up. Darn you...

In both cases, the clock started ticking at the "new" purchase, so you only get "what is left" for the most part. Honda tack on some additional years/miles but is still less than Hyundai.

Honda:
1 year, 12,000 mile non-powertrain warranty past the initial "new" 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. (Basically becomes a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty from the NEW purchase date)
7 year (from new purchase date), 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Basically adds 2 years and 40,000 miles to the new powertrain warranty.

Hyundai:
The Hyundai jist is that you get the same coverage of the vehicle as if you bought it new minus the years/miles the previous owner used up.
Keeps the 5 year, 60,000 warranty (from new).
Renews the 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrains. (This Hyundai feature is not transferable for other "used" Hyundais). If you bought a non-CPO used Hyundai, you do not get that 10 year powertrain warranty.

There are other smaller perks like roadside assistance etc.

What I meant was rather than comparing the purchase price of used vs new, people tend to compare "list" price of new vs actual purchase price of used.

My claim was that a savvy shopper can get comparatively much better price on a new car than the used car. Especially if you are aware of all the incentive that manufacturer throws to get them moved out. In many cases, manufacturer is willing to take the paper loss just to clear the unsold inventory. On a used car, dealer generally will never eat the cost. Of course, the cost would be substantially low for the dealer.

This is especially true if you buy couple year old moderately priced used Japanese car vs purchasing brand new at the end of the month or end of the year or end of the model year.

However, here many people will make this decision based upon the listed window sticker price and sometimes use that to justify their pre-made decision.

To the OP, and other point of consideration is the service history of each car. Call the local Honda dealer with the VIN and they can look up the history of what was performed at a Honda dealership. Same with Hyundai and the Santa Fe.

I learned this one the hard way. I once bought a 2001 Cadillac STS as a certified pre-owned, but forgot to ask the dealer for the repair history. I only thought to do that a week or two after I bought it. I learned that it was an Ohio car, and had pretty much been completely rebuilt under warranty. It didn't have any collision history or any title problems -- but the exhaust had been replaced, the engine had been rebuilt (due to the infamous oil consumption problem with Northstars), the radio had been replaced, it had a rebuilt transmission, etc. It had about 3 pages' worth of warranty work at Cadillac dealers. All before the car had 70k miles on it (when I bought it).

I won't make that mistake again if I can help it...buying something halfway recent without knowing its repair history. If you have two particular vehicles you're looking at (not just make/model, but actual examples at a local dealership), have the service history pulled on them. If either one has had a lot of warranty work, that may help nudge you one way or the other if you're on the fence.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I think you need to consider which is a better value. Hondas don't depreciate much, and as a result, are a horrible, if not stupid value in the used market when just a few years old. Ill bet she can find a new one for nearly the price of one with 40k and 2 years.

Actually one dealer here had a killer 3 year lease deal on the CRV SE so she leased one. Perfect for her AWD for the winter and she only drives about 10k a year. No cash outlay sign and drive. They threw in 6 0w20 oil changes and tire rotations (every 6,000) for free too. So I am off the hook
banana2.gif

The cost per mile on her 2009 Civic was $.12/mile which isn't bad. Never any major repairs that were outside the Certified warranty.

I just went through this. Looked at a 2012 CRV vs a 2012 Santa Fe as a replacement for wife's 07 Caliber. Miles similar, wife drove CRV first plus she's driven her brother's CRV. Went to Hyundai dealer, drove the Santa Fe and she pulled me aside and said she had to have it. She found the CRV dash distracting and the Santa Fe with a 3.5 is a rocket to her. Had it for a week now and she tells me every night how much she loves it. I hope it treats us well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back