2004 Suburban Z71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
On the 4L60 issue since i may be getting it pretty cheap, would u upgrade to a 4L65? If i go the reman route i dont think they cost much more. Yes i agree 4L60s are pretty easy to get ahold of. Last time I priced a used one was $550. My local garage will install for $350 so im in good shape as far as keeping costs down.

I don't know if a factory 4L65 will bolt in. They tend to do funny things, like changing connector size, time to time. I'd have to look up to see what the difference are, between the two transmissions. It might, it might not. A rebuild/reman with better parts though should be just fine. The aftermarket has parts to fix the problem areas; and to be fair, just replacing it with a stocker will likely yield >100k anyhow. "Better" is always better, but it may not be required in this case.

Quote:
He said the Z71 came with a trans cooler..not sure but it does have one on it.

It may well have, but this may be a case where bypassing it is recommended, and running an external cooler is better. Preferably with some way to monitor trans temp. And not towing in OD.

I'm not about to say the 4L60 isn't without faults, but I also believe it is drastically overplayed on the internet.

3 of my friends are mechanics, ranging from 42-52. All have been in the field well over 20 years. None, when asked, ever say that this transmission is any worse than anything else on the road in this niche.

Last edited:
My son is currently buying these. He has an 02 Yukon 5.3/4L60E combo with 3.73 gears. Over 200k miles and running very strongly.

A nice rebuilt unit is only around 750.00 here with a few minor updates. Not nearly as bad of a trans as the Internet says...

The NADA clean retail for a 2004 Z71 Suburban with 210,000 miles is $8,800. $2,000 is a steal!

You can't really worry about a 4L60E too much. They are decent and everyone and their mother knows how to rebuild them for cheap.

This is exactly what i did. I bypassed added another cooler with fan and i alway keep the tow/haul mode on and overdrive off!

Finally got the deal done. Turned out to be a 2003 Suburban Z71 4wd 5.3. I talked him into replacing the front rotors and pads and gave him $1500 cash. So i have a decent budget to refresh everything.

I pulled a plug and the gap seemed to be around .80 or more. I saw where they changed the gap from .60 to .40 so once i get some new plugs in I should get more power and economy.

It has a code off of my scanner for knock sensors.. I have a local garage that will install both for $150. I was going to do it myself but i think thats a no brainer.

I did some homework and found out that my very nice 4 runner rims that i bought last year are same pattern so i wont have to buy rims or tires.

It has a couple of rust spots on the rear bumper. Called the local paint shop and where the vehicle is white he said it would be hardly any cost to repaint the bumper because white is the cheapest..he said if it were red it would cost 5X more. .

So all in after a full tuneup and odds and ends and getting everything fixed and painted and spiffed up I should be around $2500 or so for a decent rig. I will keep $1000 back in my coffee can for a possible trans at some point..

So for a keeper or flip these dinosaurs arent that bad if gas stays around $2/gal.

Congrats! Post pictures when you have some good ones with a bumper paint and the wheels on!

Sold my 4 runner rims that i was going to use. I just ordered some Soft 8 black steels. I think it will be a nice tow rig once im done and for cheap. I cant find a decent sidebyside locally for under $10 grand... so theres some fun to be had with 10 year old dinosaurs coming onto the market.

$39,850.00 was the sticker on the window in 2003.

Here are the new wheels Soft 8 Steel with Chevrolet Centercaps. I had these new 16 inch MasterCraft Coursers from a previous flip so I bumped down a size from the 17s that were on it. $240 for rims and $45 for the centers.. alot cheaper than having the old rims refinished and buying new tires. Rides alot smoother now.

Looks good, the Soft 8s with the Chevy center caps kind of reminds me of these...
f23efa24455badcaa37ac8e0ef15d24a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back