Chrysler 62TE Fluid Extraction Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to do some 50k maintenance on the T&C. Does anyone know how many quarts i'll be able to extract with a vacuum pump?

Thanks.

I would drop the pan and clean the magnet.

Amsoil says total fill 9 qts, initial 5.5 qts for the 62TE

looks like dorman has a pan with a plug for 25$ for the 62TE

I have one on my 40TEin my Cruiser. If this is your first service I would
remove the pan just to clean the break in debris.

I used Redline C+ for my services, trans shift great!

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'm getting ready to do some 50k maintenance on the T&C. Does anyone know how many quarts i'll be able to extract with a vacuum pump?

Thanks.

I would also only use ATF+4 in the tranny. +1 for the pan drop and replacement with the dorman pan with drain plug. Change the filter while you're at it.

This thread is about fluid extraction.

It seems not many here are familiar with the transmission. I guess I'll get 7 and see how it goes.

Doorman sells a 62TE replacement pan with a drain plug if you ever want to drop the pan yourself. Like said, there is a metal stop at the bottom of the dipstick tube, so I'd be surprised if you got more than a couple quarts out that way. I believe that's how it worked out for those who've tried it on other DGC sites. I know I contemplated doing this myself on our 2013 Grand Caravan, but had a local transmission shop do a pan drop, filter change and ATF refill for $75.

Last edited:
I have never extracted fluid from a 62TE without dropping the pan, but with a pan drop and filter change refill capacity is just shy of 5 quarts.

49.gif
I subscribe to pan dropping in Chryslers, if for no other reason than they have small pan magnets that fill up quickly. At the first service it's usually pretty full.

I could not get a fluid extractor to work with mine.

Look at the shape of the pan. The extractor would have to make 2 90 degree turns to get to where the actual fluid is. You'll get maybe 1/2 qt out from the fill tube.

I believe mine was 5 qt, but the pan has to be dropped to get to it.

Just an update, I got about 3.9 quarts out while parked on a mild up slope. I think I can get almost 5 quarts if I do it with hot fluid and park on a down slope.

Thanks for the update! You did better than anyone I've read of has on the 62TE. Are you just adding the same amount back in that you took out or do you have a magical 62TE ATF level verification device?

i just measured out and measured in. i didn't want to complicate it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
i just measured out and measured in. i didn't want to complicate it.

That's what I'd do as well. Yes you are trusting that it was at the correct level in the first place, but what are the chances that it is not if you had no leaks, issues, etc.

I didn't see or ask how the transmission shop that did the pan drop and filter change on my 2013 62TE verified level. I just assumed they had the proper tools/equipment and did it by the book.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back