call me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Warren Performance Packaging today (maker of Supertech) to get the specs on their conventional 5W20, 5W30, 15W40, and Dexos 5W20 and Dexos 5W30 syn. All of the oils meet major specs, (Chrysler, GM, Ford) and a few of the specs are approved, most of the specs, such as chrysler ms6395, gm 6094m, and ford wss-m2c945-a, all say "meets requirements". So would I be crazy to start using supertech exclusively in my vehicles and families vehicles I take care of? I think it would be great for my Ranger, great price and meets the required specs. I'm sticking to Delvac in my Cummins though, been using it since its new with no problems. Whats your opinions guys?

Last edited:
If you want to I say go for it. It meets the requirements is API certified why not. I've run their oil in just about everything I've ever owned. My good friend is approaching 120,000 miles of use at 5,000 OCI on his Toyota Truck on ST synthetic (truck has nearly 200k total miles) I've had very good UOA on their conventional in my personal 4Runner and I've even run their 20w50 in my Chevelle. Also if you wanted to their 15w40 HDEO is also very good and I'd dare say comparable to all the other conventional diesel oils out there in terms of bang per buck. Use any/all with confidence provided they meet the certification and requirements of the application.

With many brand name synthetics under $18 for a 5 qt jug before any rebates I'd go with them instead.

If you want to play with rebates and specials and you are addicted to BITOG then knock yourself out with the latest synthetic special. If the Supertech meets your manufacturer specifications and you change it according to schedule, that works just fine too.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Its gonna be fine for 5 to 7k. After that try QSUD or PP.

Why? Sorry, I couldn't ignore a dumb post from someone promoting their unfounded opionion. Cause its beyond nauseating.

Run Supertech forever if you want. You, Marco, nor I will be able to tell a difference in a couple 100k.

The PQIA looked at Supertech dino 5W30 back in 2010 and it looked fine by their analysis, actually had low NOACK for a conventional oil.
PQIA VOA for Supertech 5W30 Dino
VOA is not the be-all and end-all, but it suggested that Supertech would be a good performer.
Now, this is an old analysis and I think that Supertech is made for Walmart by different suppliers across the country, but I would suspect that present day Supertechs from anywhere in the US would all be solid oils.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Warren makes good stuff

I agree....and I think you'd be fine running WPP products exclusively.

IIRC, not all WPP made synthetics use the same formula....for instance PEAK full syn. has lot's of sodium while WM full syn. does not. I can't remember if MAG1 uses a lot of sodium but I believe Accel does.

I mention this because some would assume that WPP makes only one synthetic (which are interchangeable) and puts on different labels....which apparently is not the case.

Lets be honest the question being asked can apply to many of the Store brand name of oils such as Autozone, Napa, O'reilly's , Super Tech, Advanced Auto and many others. If these meet the specs and certification requirments then is there really any more benefit for engine performance and logenvity with buying name brand for the individule that is doing 7500 mile OCI or less. For many they want to know if the engine will be as clean or cleaner, and will more wear show or be similar if you choose to go with one of the store brand oils instead of the more recognized name brand. I have not seen any store brand oils that have any product that claims extended OCI's of 10K or more so I would say if your doing extended OCI go name brand. I will be honest and tell you that Marketing does have a huge influence along with this board on my choice of oil brand when it is time to purchase and at this time I have not purchase any Store Brand Oils but I have purchase Store Brand Transmission Fluid which is just as important and I must say I have been very pleased with the performance of the transmission fluid which was Super Tech Mercon V.

I too use the Supertech Mercon V and think it a good product. It is often out of stock at my local WM so apparently a lot of other people like it too. I have take to buying it a few quarts at a time and adding it to my stash slowly. As to ST motor oil I have used it and like it. On my 97 Toyota Tacoma I changed it out to synthetic around 135,000 miles. At first I tried Mobil 1 but then moved to the ST synthetic. I saw no leaking problems using the Mobil 1 after years of conventional oil use. I also didn't do extended oil changes so I saved some cash by using the ST synthetic instead of Mobil 1. I drove that Tacoma hard and changed oil often. Oh and no leaking occurred after years of using the ST oil either. I used it with no loss of sleep and would do so again. For now I am using Motorcraft in my F150 and Pennzoil Gold in my Versa note. I may change the Versa to ST synthetic when the Pennzoil Gold is used up in my stash. I change oil in that vehicle based on Nissans severe use intervals which is exactly how we drive the car so the ST would be perfect for the little 1.6 l engine.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Its gonna be fine for 5 to 7k. After that try QSUD or PP.

Why? Sorry, I couldn't ignore a dumb post from someone promoting their unfounded opionion. Cause its beyond nauseating.

Run Supertech forever if you want. You, Marco, nor I will be able to tell a difference in a couple 100k.

Ouch, opinions are what most folks do here ... The poster prolly wants the OP to try some different things. Nothing wrong with that.

Your condescending attitude OTOH is annoying and off putting
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back