Keeping rodents out of engine bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't found it yet, but our Fusion evidently has a "Welcome all rodents" sign somewhere on it. For whatever reason, rodents have made their way into the engine bay multiple times. When we bought the vehicle new (wife's car), she still lived with her parents in the middle of nowhere; literally in the middle of the woods. About 6 months after vehicle purchase, I noticed that a small amount of the underhood insulation had been formed into a nest on top of the valve cover.

Where we've lived the past 5 years, it's much less rural, but still heavily wooded. This issue with the insulation being torn away and formed into nests has happened a few times since. But today was the worst. I opened the hood to find two GIANT nests on top of the valve cover, and next to the air intake box. I'm talking 4 or 5 handfulls of grass, straw, some insulation, pieces of an old Dunlop tennis ball... it was insane. I cleaned it all out and removed the remaining shreds of the underhood insulation (which seems to be ideal for nests). I placed dryer sheets all around the engine bay, since some say that the smell drives rodents away. What else can I do here? Thankfully the wiring has never been touched, yet... and I don't really care about the insulation. But this needs to stop!

I'll also add that the vehicle is parked outdoors in a carport near trees; no option to park indoors.

Bar bait works good to kill rodents. Just keep it out of the reach of pets. I've also heard moth balls laying around or spraying Raid in the engine bay works.

I would wash underhood to get rid of any smell that might attract them. I would then use some sort of " dressing" to make it slick and chemical-y. Then try the dryer sheets or mothballs or whatever you want.

Outdoor cats solved my mouse problem. They were getting into my travel trailer and truck. I also use glue traps inside the camper during the winter, keeps them from dying where i can't find them if i use poison.

Last edited:
The engine bay was washed this summer, and I applied 303 protectant to all surfaces sans the exhaust manifold. So it's plenty clean. Who knows. I also have my used oil jug in front of the car, but that doesn't scare them off. Maybe I'll put some traps down too.

Last edited:
Check under hood daily. This time of year, they're looking for a warm place to make a nest for the winter.

Keeping them from even trying? I've heard about the mothballs also.

Last edited:
Napthalene is used in many pest deterants. Ceder, lemon grass, eucalyptus among others.We have a spray deterant being advertized to use around parameters I may try to keep the vermin from entering the house as its harvest time(corn) and they are on the move.
Great newer trap called JAWS has been a good addition to our defenses. A truly better mouse trap

I get rats in the rainy season if I park near drains. I get Bivouac Ants all year round.

Keeping moving helps, but I have been seen beating the cars bonnet (hood) with a big stick before opening it, crazy foreigner stylee.

I don't like rats.

Last edited:
Leave hood blocked up 6" or so. They don't like any daylight
smile.gif

Been there and got a T shirt....

They love to build nest in cabin filters.

Peppermint oil on cotton balls thrown around and under car seem to help.

We also so heard Irish Spring soap thrown around helps.

After couple stray cats show up our mice problem seemed to move on...

Good advice on leaving the hood open; unenclosed areas seem to be less attractive to critters, and the heat dissipates faster as well.

Some of my vehicles are stored in a barn and I have had few problems.

I also keep traps set...

We have a cat lady in our neighborhood. I used to tease the cats... until I saw the good job they do on my property. Now when I see them I open the garage door and leave a saucer of milk for them. Compared with rodents roaming around, I don't mind cat paw prints on my car.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The rodents like the insulation on the wiring. On most newer cars it is soy based.

I'm sure that seems to make sense to some people (soy-based insulation being seen as food) but the truth is much simpler, and is easily proven by talking to your grandparents, whom will reply back that rodents eat the insulation on wiring in cars, regardless of what it's made of, and always have, going back to the first wires installed in the first cars.

The short answer is rodents need to chew, and chew they will, and a wire is the perfect size to fit in their jaws, and is readily available at eye and mouth level.

Originally Posted By: dangkevi
Oh, and check the air filter housing. They will fill that box overnight.

Lost the motor on my cycle that way.Sucked the oil out of the crank case.

I park a few cars for the winter in my back yard under car covers.

I put dryer sheets inside and in engine bay. also sprinkle red pepper around the perimeter of the cars.

I have wooded lots behind me and also trap mice with baited traps since I have a portable garage. So there are mice around but the pepper and sheets do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back