Dodge Grand Caravan vs Sedona

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reliability wise which would you choosea Dodge Grand Caravan New or Kia Sedona?

Last edited:
How long are you going to keep the van?

I bought a 2015 caravan last year. Previously I owned a 98 Sienna that I bought used in 2006.

I do a lot of repairs myself. When searching for used parts for the Sienna, the used selection in Canada was very poor (at the local wreckers). In the USA selection would be better.

Given the numbers of Caravans sold in North America, you'll find better support on newsgroups etc if you do have problems.

I also think replacement parts for the Caravan would be cheaper and easier to get than parts for a Sedona.

For an example, I purchased a class 3 hitch for the Caravan from U-Haul for $119 before taxes and they had it in stock. I doubt the hitch for a Sedona would be as cheap and would be ready for immediate pickup.

I do admit the styling of the Sedona is nicer than the Caravan, but I prefer to have the stow and go for carrying building supplies and not having to remove any seats to do so.

Last edited:
My brother's 3.8 GC has over 270k miles and runs dead quiet with lots of power, no sign of giving up any time soon.

Based on listening to friends and family who owned or own the one of the two vehicles mentioned, I'd buy the Grand Caravan.

I've seen new Caravans with huge discounts off the sticker price. More than enough to cover both a major repair and moonier repairs if needed.

Oh, now I see this is in the transmission forum. Still, original transmission with a few routine services.

Originally Posted By: GuinnessGuy
Reliability wise which would you choose a Dodge Grand Caravan New or Kia Sedona?

Neither...

but if you have to, choose the Kia, longer warranty.

I would not buy a KIA van, but the Chrysler vans are nice, my cousin has a 2012 with the 3.6 and it's a great people hauler, they haven't had any problems with it.

We've been happy with our 2013 GC. Almost 50k miles.

Make sure to service the brakes yourself regularly and put ceramics and cross drilled rotors on the back if you tow.

Chrysler Minivans are the only Mopar product that is not a raging dumpster fire of reliability woes. Maybe the Ram escapes that generalization too, as the minivans seem to be the one place they don't shaft their products as much. Still, they cut corners and you will notice that issue. They cost less initially and will cost more eventually. The only way they could be worse if "Fix It Again Tony"- FIAT got their hands on them... wait...

Still, you could not make me take one for my personal use. I have seven 7 in my fleet. They are not "bad" vehicles (I hate the old Chevy Minivans more) but considering other options in the mix, I would go with a Kia without a blink of the eye. Dodge minivans will limp along to high mileage but it will be a lot of "should have lasted longer" type of repairs as someone has mentioned them eating brakes like halloween candy.

Kia is 4th (really 3rd as they counted Toyota twice) in Consumer Reports for Minivans, Dodge is dead last... 9th of 9. Kia is only behind Toyota and Honda's offering.

Also, some of the feedback about the new 2015 I have in my fleet is that they are not very comfortable for longer trips. This was kinda a shocker. The old 2006 minivans were fine. My main employee that handles most of the day-to-day work ranted like a mad goat about having a 500 mile roadtrip in those seats. Maybe the trip level matters but those older vans were strippers and were fine. The new vans are mid-trim level so I don't know what to say...

Last edited:
Brake issues typically aren't an issue with 2014+ Grand Caravans. They all have the much improved "heavy-duty" brakes now, where prior to 2014, they were an option. The rear pads/rotors lasted until ~60K miles on our 2013 (with HD brakes) and I could have easily gotten away with just a pad change. The fronts are original yet. The pentastar and 62TE trans has proven to be a great drive train.

In terms of reliability between the Kia and the Dodge, IMO, that's going to depend on how the vans are optioned. Less power/entertainment/comfort/convenience options is going to lead to more long term reliability. Less to go wrong.

The Sedona has been around for 18yrs now, so Kia certainly knows what they're doing at this point.

The most basic of GCs can be had with no rear HVAC and a removable 2nd row bench seat as opposed to the folding sto-n-go 2nd row.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back