Mobil-1 high milage now going SN??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Just bought a jug of M1-HM 5w-20 from wally mart and noticed the jug now states that it is SN rated instead of SL.

My prior SL jug purchased just last OCI states ACEA A1/B1, API SL, jug code: 11016626A
New SL jug states ACEA A1/B1, API SN/SM, jug code: 11016H24A

Neither state energy conserving or have the API starbust.

This is my first time using this oil(in the 5w-20 flavor, lots of 5w-30 use), and perhaps I just got one of the last SL rated during the change over, but I wondered what this possibly means for the additive package? The SL is doing a great job of cleaning up from what I can see through the oil cap hole.

I noticed the same thing this weekend. The jug i was looking at also had ACEA A3 approval along with SN. Unfortunately i cannot remember the viscosity.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I Just bought a jug of M1-HM 5w-20 from wally mart and noticed the jug now states that it is SN rated instead of SL.

My prior SL jug purchased just last OCI states ACEA A1/B1, API SL, jug code: 11016626A
New SL jug states ACEA A1/B1, API SN/SM, jug code: 11016H24A

Neither state energy conserving or have the API starbust.

This is my first time using this oil(in the 5w-20 flavor, lots of 5w-30 use), and perhaps I just got one of the last SL rated during the change over, but I wondered what this possibly means for the additive package? The SL is doing a great job of cleaning up from what I can see through the oil cap hole.

Probably less Zinc and Phos

"Probably less Zinc and Phos"

Siiiiigh, this is the reason I get this oil...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I noticed the same thing this weekend. The jug i was looking at also had ACEA A3 approval along with SN. Unfortunately i cannot remember the viscosity.

Hmm, even the M1HM 5w-30 I have is ACEA A1/B1, time to go stalk the oil shelf...

That's a bummer but it was bound to happen.

I'm gonna switch to Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 semi-synth next oil change anyway so no harm towards me :]

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

I'm gonna switch to Chevron Delo XLE 10w30 semi-synth next oil change anyway so no harm towards me :]

That oil isn't SL either. It's SM.

Sorry but my motives aren't because of rating. I did not intend my comment on switching to imply I care about the rating between SL-SM-SN. I'm just merely switching.

Sorry but my motives aren't because of rating. I did not intend my comment on switching to imply I care about the rating between SL-SM-SN. I'm just merely switching.

Ahh, ok got it.
smile.gif

After stalking the oil isle, I am saddened to have found that no only has the roll-back pricing gone, but that now even all the 5w-30 is SN... Maybe the SN will turn out to still have a stout additive package suitable for non roller cams, as that was the main reason I was trying to stick with the SL.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
"Probably less Zinc and Phos"

Siiiiigh, this is the reason I get this oil...

lmao like you could ever tell the difference. There are newer, better additives.

Crazy. I was planning to check out WM tonight for some oil for the snow blower. I was planning to go with the 5W-30 HM over the other M1 options for the extra additives. I might just get some HDEO stuff then!

I like that choice. Don't forget the current $6 a gallon rebate limit three for a total of $18. Valid 9/1/16 to 10/31/16.

https://www.chevronpromotions.com/

I just had that gut feeling it would eventually happen. There is just going to be eventually more newer vehicles getting older and higher miles and only a handful of people really care about the Zinc and Phos levels.

That'll fix'm ! Stick it to the man !
lol.gif

Valvoline VR1 is still going to be around. My local independent NAPA stocks the 10W-30 and 20W-50.

Aren't most modern OHC engines using what is essentially a flat tappet anyways? SN oils work fine in those. I am actually relieved they are going SN. I still get the slightly higher viscosity and extra seal conditioners and not have to wonder if the high phosphorous is harming the CC.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That'll fix'm ! Stick it to the man !
lol.gif

happy2.gif
I'm not sticking anything to the man :]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back