06 Tribeca B9 with H6 engine, 161 k miles

Hi, I have happily run Rotella T6 5w-40 on my 04 Subaru Forester XT with EJ257. I now have the subject Subaru Tribeca with H6 3.0 Engine and I'd like to know if I should do the same.

I know nothing about consumption since I just picked it up but like the fact that I can get Rotella T-6 from Amazon cheaply and love the rebates.

I see some suggestions here and there, but I see a bit more opposition to using T-6 on this engine as opposed to the 2.5 EJ255 and EJ257.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks!

With that being said, why not the factory suggested 5w-30 for better gas mileage? These things apparently get pretty poor gas mileage from the factory. I mean, I can see the 40w with the higher mileage though.

This is the same engine as the H4 in the Outback. I usually get lots of posts when I get a "new" vehicle.

Just one response?

I meant "H6". Any harm in using T6? I have been reading posts about T6 damaging cats. Probably an endless debate. Besides that, any other reason that I might not want to use T6 on this high mileage vehicle?

I mean it's dirt cheap with Amazon Prime and rebates. This engine take 6.7 quarts.

Last edited:
Gosh, I have become some sort of redheaded stepchild here. Anyways, I noticed a puff of blue smoke when starting the vehicle. I overfilled it accidentally after noticing that it was a bit low after purchasing it.

I had some Rotella T6 5W-40 laying around and installed it along with a Pure One oil Filter.

So this is a game changer for me. I am going to drive it long distance to see what sort of consumption I am getting.

I am *guessing* this is valve seals? I don't have time to run a compression test right now.

Would you all try M1 HM maybe? No one knows much about the H6 Subaru?

Thanks

Last edited:
Gosh, I have become some sort of redheaded stepchild here. Anyways, I noticed a puff of blue smoke when starting the vehicle. I overfilled it accidentally after noticing that it was a bit low after purchasing it.

I had some Rotella T6 5W-40 laying around and installed it along with a Pure One oil Filter.

So this is a game changer for me. I am going to drive it long distance to see what sort of consumption I am getting.

I am *guessing* this is valve seals? I don't have time to run a compression test right now.

Would you all try M1 HM maybe? No one knows much about the H6 Subaru?

Thanks
How did it work out for you? I have an 06 one also that I've just been using 5w30, but I'm curious.

Back