Wix 57145, 268 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off of a Toyota 8FGU15 Forklift, In service for 268 hours / 11 months.

Put the same filter back on. I used PP 5W-30, put Castrol 0W-40 back in.

This is the first time I've seen wavy Wix media. Compared to other filters I've cut open, the media looks awfully thin.

F8o0M6p.jpg

ykcGnDr.jpg

UDiA6pl.jpg

FKVbFw9.jpg

RLwwtnb.jpg

Wavy media is not a big deal, but is a sign of an uneven pressure distribution inside the filter. Notice how the spring on your pic is a quarter of a wind out of loop. That causes filter media to be out of parellel with the oil filter shell. As a result, flow is higher at one side of the filter intake. Makes you wonder why some manufacturers use leaf springs, does it not? Yet the perception is spring = quality.

Incidentally, 268 hours on my vehicle is equivalent to 7,300 miles.

Agree the wavy media no functional issue. Still a wavier than usual Wix anecdote. Sometimes, wavy media is indicative of coolant intrusion. Not saying that's the cause, just have seen that turn out to be the cause in the past as posted here. Also many moisture condensation cycles per oci/fci seem to have that effect on media too.

Thanks for pics.

davison, for my vehicle it would be about 7500 miles.

Sayjac, It's quite possible but usually it gets to full operating temp. Plus, there is only 4 quarts of oil to heat up.

dlundblad, I have no clue what the change interval is. Yes it is propane. I would guess it's something like 200 hours.

KingCake, I'll be using Fram Ultras next after the Wix stock is out.

Malo83, I guess, but its just a bit wavy. But it did its job.

Sure, it's a bit wavy.. but it also appears that the pleats are still "standing".. they haven't collapsed and I don't see any tears. I'd say it did a respectable job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back