Lifter tap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well guys I gave penzoil platinum a try and now i have what sounds like lifters taping..it just started doin it with 300 miles on this oil change. Using a fram ultraguard filter..my oil pressure is better then what it was when I had valvoline synpower and seem to run a lot better minus the lifter noise

Last edited:
What oil filter did you use before the Fram Ultra? What grade oil? Is it the same? Vehicle/engine? Need more info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
What oil filter did you use before the Fram Ultra? What grade oil? Is it the same? Vehicle/engine? Need more info.

Its chevy 2007 5.3 l33 with arojnd 220k..I was using valvoline synpower with a Bosch filter. Oil grade with vs was 5w30 now 10w30 pp

Originally Posted By: Chevy538487
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Its chevy 2007 5.3 l33 with arojnd 220k..I was using valvoline synpower with a Bosch filter. Oil grade with vs was 5w30 now 10w30 pp

Everything is different. If it's really bothering you, you could try going back to the Bosch filter, if that doesn't work then try the same oil/filter combo that worked in the past. Sometimes with older engines things can start to go wrong.

Coincidence if anything. If you used the same viscosity oil then your oil pressure isn't different. A 5.3 over 200K is ready for the junk heap anyway.

PP is by design a thin oil for fuel economy. Check the specs, it's viscosity will be right at the low edge of the grade. This isn't to say its a bad thing necessarily, but it could explain the tapping...

Or...

You could have an injector that's starting to go, and making noise.

You could have an exhaust manifold leak that sounds like a lifter tap, that started right after the oil change.

You could have a lifter that's collapsed with age.

Correlation is not necessarily causality...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KingCake
A 5.3 over 200K is ready for the junk heap anyway.

226k on mine, and I've managed to keep it out of the junk heap so far.

200 on a lost cost GM 5.3 is pretty good. That noise could be anything on that mill, they are not known as a well built engine in the first place, most I seen give up the ghost right at 180-240k

I am now using Mobil 1 and so far everything is good a while back when i was still using pennzoil i tried the Pennzoil Platinum and did not like it at all i did however like the QSUD at the time. However i switched over everything to Mobil and am very happy so far.

** Just for the record i don't see anything in the High Mileage that says 5000

Last edited:
Using a fram ultraguard filter.

What is a "fram ultraguard ?" On the box my filter came in, it says "FRAM ULTRA SYNTHETIC." I'm just trying to determine if you've got one of those orange Frams on there; if so, that would be one variable to eliminate. The other variable to eliminate is the oil. The Pennzoil Platinum, even though it's a 10W-30, still acts like a real thin oil. Based on my observation of Chevy V8 truck engines having the lowest wear numbers with 10W-40 and 15W-40, I'd recommend switching over to a 40 weight and a high flow filter like a Fram Ultra or a Wix XP. That's bound to have some kind of effect on that lifter tick.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I am now using Mobil 1 and so far everything is good a while back when i was still using pennzoil i tried the Pennzoil Platinum and did not like it at all i did however like the QSUD at the time. However i switched over everything to Mobil and am very happy so far.

** Just for the record i don't see anything in the High Mileage that says 5000

I did just the opposite, I switched everything over to PU from Mobil 1. Nothing against Mobil 1, I was very happy with it. Two of my Jeeps call for MS6395 spec oil. The new Jeep is under warranty, and Mobil 1 doesn't meet the spec. Super does but I don't want to use Super.

Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
200 on a lost cost GM 5.3 is pretty good. That noise could be anything on that mill, they are not known as a well built engine in the first place, most I seen give up the ghost right at 180-240k

Well I plan to go as far as I can with her, [censored] good truck!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Using a fram ultraguard filter.

What is a "fram ultraguard ?" On the box my filter came in, it says "FRAM ULTRA SYNTHETIC." I'm just trying to determine if you've got one of those orange Frams on there; if so, that would be one variable to eliminate. The other variable to eliminate is the oil. The Pennzoil Platinum, even though it's a 10W-30, still acts like a real thin oil. Based on my observation of Chevy V8 truck engines having the lowest wear numbers with 10W-40 and 15W-40, I'd recommend switching over to a 40 weight and a high flow filter like a Fram Ultra or a Wix XP. That's bound to have some kind of effect on that lifter tick.

Yea its the fram ultra synthetic

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Or...

You could have an injector that's starting to go, and making noise.

You could have an exhaust manifold leak that sounds like a lifter tap, that started right after the oil change.

You could have a lifter that's collapsed with age.

Correlation is not necessarily causality...
All those "could haves"are certainly possible. But I would strongly suspect the change of oil and filter. I have learned to return to my last repair when a symptom appears afterward. I'm perfectly capable of screwing something up whilst "fixing" something else .I would go back to the previous oil and filter, next change. Ifthe tap persists try looking for exhaust leaks or use a stethoscope on the lifters.
grin2.gif

Well I plan to go as far as I can with her, [censored] good truck!

Only on this site would a 5.3L have a bad reputation, They try too compare their pampered European & Japanese mills to something that gets WORKED. I'm building a 4L60E out of a 2000 GMC 1500 with over 400,000 on the original 5.3L & it has a HUGE street sweeper on it, The truck probably weighs 12,000 pounds with the Sweeper...My 9.000 pound swing arm lift will not lift it! I had to sub-out the R&R as it won't clear my 13,000 pound drive on lift.

Broken Valve Springs take A LOT of these engines out, Starts out as a tapping noise, You need to have it checked for a broke spring &/or a collapsed lifter. A worn oil pump or a shrunk pick-up tube O-ring are also possibilities.

A ludicrous comment. We have owned dozens here in a small fleet, not a single one has ever given us trouble. Easily go well beyond 200k miles and do it while working for a living...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back