Buying oil tomorrow,please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^What the guy from upstate NY just said^^ (especially the part about avoiding cheap, unknown dollar stare oil).

Same goes for filters. Honda, WIX, Hastings, Fram middle/top grade....NAPA Gold, Car Quest premium if you want to play around.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Do most BITOGers feel Chevron or Havoline is the better oil?

If you're asking which of those two is the better oil, I believe they're actually the same oil...or at least they used to be. They do come in the exact same jugs. I have three jugs of Havoline 5W-20 and one jug of Chevron 5W-20. Both purchased in the past few months from Amazon for the $5/jug rebates currently going on. The Havoline jugs, while bearing the Havoline logo and information in the screen-printed area, have the Chevron logo molded into the jug. I think it's the same oil, and is marketed as Chevron on the west coast and Havoline on the east coast.

Originally Posted By: pbm
To the OP: I'd probably stick with PYB 5w20

Nothing wrong with that, either. I'd certainly use 5W-20 rather than 5W-30.

Supertech 5w-20
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Try Valvoline max-life 5w30. Its a semi syn and great additive package.

This ^^^^

With 165K on the clock, I'd vote this way too
laugh.gif

Last edited:
The cheapest on sale or rebate conventional 5W20 oil you can find. I absolutely would NOT use synthetic oil unless you like the idea of a oil leak popping up from the rear main or the valve cover gaskets.

My cousin's 98 civic with more than 225k on the clock has had good results with Mobil 5000

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The cheapest on sale or rebate conventional 5W20 oil you can find. I absolutely would NOT use synthetic oil unless you like the idea of a oil leak popping up from the rear main or the valve cover gaskets.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. As much as I like MaxLife red bottle (blend), I'd save it for when you actually have a leak or significant usage. SuperTech dino should be fine, as would be PYB, MS5K, Havoline or Chevron. 5-7k mile OCIs should get the job done depending upon your driving. Short trips = shorter OCI. Stay on top of the oil level in case it starts using some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back