36mm socket... loaner from AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I needed a 36mm socket to get the axle nut off of my Harley to change the tire. I went to AZ planning on buying one and the counter guy suggested renting one, after I said I only needed it when I changed the tire on my bike. He took the new socket off the rack and entered it into their tool loaner program via they're computer. Today is the second time I have 'borrowed' it. They charged me $10 which is refunded when I take it back. It was nice of him to do that for me.

The tool loaner program is pretty useful. Though I always feel guilty when I borrow a tool to install something I bought elsewhere.

I ended up buying a set of axle nut sockets from HF. Comes in handy for the 36mm on the Jeeps and the 38mm on my trailer.

Reading is fundamental.

Please read the OP again.

LOL!

'Though I always feel guilty when I borrow a tool to install something I bought elsewhere.'

^ Since AZ doesn't sell motorcycle tires....I'm OK with it. ^

Definitely a nice gesture, although if it were me and I anticipated needing the socket more than once, I'd probably spend the $8-$10 to purchase one for the sake of convenience and avoid the multiple trips to AZ.

I went to HF to purchase a single 36mm socket. A 32mm socket was the largest single metric socket HF had. I went next door from HF to AZ to purchase a 36mm socket which was $19.99 plus tax. The counter guy at AZ suggested the loaner socket. The loaner socket cost me nothing, and both stores are within 1/2 mile of my house.

Good deal
thumbsup2.gif

That was a friendly, involved thing to offer. I'd consider patronizing him and his store and when you do REMIND THEM that you came back because of what they did.

On a different note: I bought the large set of sockets from HF when they were on sale just to have "sizers".
If the cheap HF tool worked, fine.
If the socket broke I'd know what the size was and could buy a good one. Kira

HF has a cheap 36mm and 30mm socket cheap when you are ready to buy them.

cptbarkey, hook me up with a link to the SINGLE 36 mm socket at HF. When I went to my local HF to buy the 36mm socket, the only way to get the 36mm socket was to buy a complete socket set. They didn't offer it as a single socket. I have almost every metric socket within reason, EXCEPT the 36mm. I even went to their website and a 32mm was the largest single socket they offered. Maybe I missed it.

I've done this many times at AZ.

Sometimes its a bit of a hassle an other times its great, i use it like a try it before i buy a better tool. AZ's logic is if you dont have the tool to remove it, you wont buy the part.

I've done this mainly for spring compressors, pickle fork, balljoint press w/ adapters, Sept belt tool. I see they have a A/C manifold gauge as well. Never borrowed. Its a good system, only downfall i can see is if you dont plan to do the repair in advance, it will take a lot of our time to stop and drive there. Or if you do repairs like at midnight and they are closed.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
cptbarkey, hook me up with a link to the SINGLE 36 mm socket at HF. When I went to my local HF to buy the 36mm socket, the only way to get the 36mm socket was to buy a complete socket set. They didn't offer it as a single socket. I have almost every metric socket within reason, EXCEPT the 36mm. I even went to their website and a 32mm was the largest single socket they offered. Maybe I missed it.

try this Does require a 3/4 drive though. Maybe you have to order online?

Sounded like 1 15/32's might work also.

I recently purchased a Mexican Proto (Urrea) 36mm. Very useful for some sportbike rear axles and countershaft sprockets.
DSC00011_zpswporl2tn.jpg

Is the Urrea socket better than a USA Proto, SK, Wright, etc? (e.g. thinner wall, higher strength, more precise fit?)

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I recently purchased a Mexican Proto (Urrea) 36mm. Very useful for some sportbike rear axles and countershaft sprockets.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
Is the Urrea socket better than a USA Proto, SK, Wright, etc? (e.g. thinner wall, higher strength, more precise fit?)

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing

I won't say it's better or worse then any USA manufactured socket and Urrea is no longer associated with Proto. I do have a Wright Tool 36mm impact socket and it works well. I had a customer request that I don't use a impact gun on his motorcycle when replacing the countershaft sprocket for fear of knocking the seal loose. The Urrea I found on Amazon cheap and in stock so I ordered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back