keep in your (opposing) lane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
'morning BITOG.

what is so hard to keep in your lane and not waiver over the double continuous lanes into opposite traffic on a 4 lanes?
here, the usual contenders are some school buses, some taxi/livery, semis and big vehicles in general.

and all this time i'm driving the tinny yota yaris sedan....
grrrr.....

and don't get me started about keep in your lane while your front wheel studs are the size used in the war chariots of ben hur movies...
come on , the lines are designed to accommodate a semi with ease...

it must be the luck of vitamin D, cloudy without brain meatballs and crazy-cocko coffee in the morning

You know, when you keep importing (and approving of domestic) drivers of lower and lower quality, the results show themselves on the road...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
This just in: It's too easy to get a Drivers License in this Country. As a result there are a lot of distracted or just plan bad drivers.

In contrast, its actually bloody difficult to get a driving licence here, and I havn't got one. I drive on a (sometimes expired) IDP and my UK license, which may someday get me into serious trouble.

The driving test is a closed circuit hoop-jumping exercise with very little relationship to real driving. Its purpose is to make money for the driving schools, essentially a setup for an institutionalised bribe.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Atleast your car is agile, practice driving onto the shoulder at 55 or 60mph, the last thing you want to do is swerve then fish tail across into the opposing lane and go head on into the guy behind him...
You should do some autocross then you will get some practice swerving at maximum grip inches away from an obstacle at 50-60mph.

I think EVERYONE should have to learn some real evasive maneuvers and perhaps some skidpad or track work. And it could be fun!

Police always say that most folks do not use their car's full capability to avoid accidents, they just brake. Learn what your car is capable of, you might surprise yourself...

Or you could simply drive in a manner that doesn't put you into that situation in the first place. If you're in a situation where you have to take "evasive maneuvers" or "swerving at maximum grip inches away from an obstacle at 50-60mph" then you're not driving smart and not anticipating potential problems.

it must be the luck of vitamin D, cloudy without brain meatballs and crazy-cocko coffee in the morning

What does that nonsense mean? "Luck" of vitamin D? Cloudy without brain meatballs? Crazy-cocko coffee?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Or you could simply drive in a manner that doesn't put you into that situation in the first place. If you're in a situation where you have to take "evasive maneuvers" or "swerving at maximum grip inches away from an obstacle at 50-60mph" then you're not driving smart and not anticipating potential problems.

You are wrong. The first example I can think of is driving a sedan in a crowd of SUVs and having no visibility. Attempts to add space cushions to driving result in being passed by yet another SUV. Since the surrounding crowd has better visibility they act on obstacles at the last second, meaning the sedan has equal or yet-worse reaction times.

Imagining you can somehow anticipate all problems while driving is an amazingly naive way of thinking.

No one anywhere can avoid all accidents forever. Drive enough and something will happen somewhere. I'm sure if you simply don't drive much then you could somehow imagine you were a perfect driver...

or live out in the sticks where there is no traffic.

I get to experience both. IMO if you are in the city, you have to drive like a city driver. Some aggressiveness required. Out in the sticks, a bit more laid back. Just the way it is. Kinda like slowing down in inclement weather, have to drive with the conditions.

Originally Posted By: supton

I get to experience both. IMO if you are in the city, you have to drive like a city driver. Some aggressiveness required. Out in the sticks, a bit more laid back. Just the way it is. Kinda like slowing down in inclement weather, have to drive with the conditions.

ummm, no

you will experience the jump in front of you after it sit there for 30 minutes, and you will have to decrease your speed from 50-60 to 0 in a VERY SHORT TIME/SPACE (unless you want to jump in a ditch)
(i thought user sleddriver had a thread about this couple months ago)

ummm, no

you will experience the jump in front of you after it sit there for 30 minutes, and you will have to decrease your speed from 50-60 to 0 in a VERY SHORT TIME/SPACE (unless you want to jump in a ditch)
(i thought user sleddriver had a thread about this couple months ago)

Sorry, I can't make sense of your post.

I expect to have to slam on the brakes in city traffic; and i expect short distances between cars when driving in heavy traffic. In lightly traveled areas, distances open up, and less stuff seems to be going on. Although wildlife can be a problem.

i drive a yaris: and in a grandpa style. and still i had to break heavily, and take evasive maneuvers from people around me and swerve at maximum grip at 50-55mph (legal limit). i was just driving in my lane.

What does that nonsense mean? "Luck" of vitamin D? Cloudy without brain meatballs? Crazy-cocko coffee?

chicago weather for the last week was kind of cloudy=people starting to get depressed? grumpy? (because of less chance of vitamin D)
cloudy with chance of meatballs is a nonsense made by pixar for disney
crazy-cocko coffee refers to crazy cuckoo= too much coffee in the morning, or a more subtle reference to another nonsense from Hollywood called "ZOHAN" where the called a dog/guy [censored] Cocko

[off-topic]
now a question for you: you say you are 72 years (wish you many more to go) and with a head with brains on your neck.
what did my thread did to you to come here in a such disrespectful manner? you don't like it, you don't have to read it or just put me on your ignore list.
my cars are paid-off, one rental is paid-off, i pay my taxes, i didn't get a ban here or a vacation from the mods which means my threads and my contributions to BITOG are in a civilized manner.
so exactly what is your problem?
did you drive in my seat? in my area to experience the traffic?

P.S. others who contributed in thread: you want to bet Pop_Rivit will do his usual "hit-and-run" one time post in a thread "i'm the best of all and you are not" type?
[/off-topic]

He perhaps was referring to deer jumping in front of you. Living in rural or even suburban areas and driving in pre-dawn, you WILL encounter this and with little to no warning. About all you can do is scan the sides of the road, even then you may not spot them until they are in your lane right in front of you. I have had to exercise more evasive maneuvers due to that than any other types of incidents. Although I have had more than one semi decide my lane was his in the highway and it didn't matter that I was there.

Sorry, I can't make sense of your post.

I expect to have to slam on the brakes in city traffic; and i expect short distances between cars when driving in heavy traffic. In lightly traveled areas, distances open up, and less stuff seems to be going on. Although wildlife can be a problem.

what i experienced was:
-just me on the street (divided 55mph highway, 2 lanes each side)
-see a guy sitting at the exit from a plaza (from more than 1/2 mile away; remember i'm alone on the street)
-he still sits there (no traffic light or stop sign, just an exit from the plaza)
-he jumps in front of me 10yards before me being at that exit from the plaza(i'm doing 55)

also expereinced on same divided highway a guy widely waving between the 2lanes + shoulder which made it areal risk to pass him for about 2 miles.
i vote he was on drugs

Oh, absolutely, deer are a menace. Somehow I've managed to not have problems with them. But I definitely had to brake for them.

Oh, absolutely, deer are a menace. Somehow I've managed to not have problems with them. But I definitely had to brake for them.

supton and dlayman. apologize: internet tone can be sometimes deceiving.
yes, deer can be a menace.
how i escaped 2 times:
- deer/buck/head of the heard decided to jump back in the bushes followed by 3 females
- really tight turn (recommended 20mph) at night, no lights (street or moon). i knew the area so really slow down since it was just 2 lanes, no shoulder, you come from a hill into a valley (your lights didn't hit the road). yep lucky me in a tiny '95 hyundai accent hatchback: 4 where just looking at me in the middle of the road.

Last edited:
Last close call was one walking on the side of the road, who then started picking up speed, and then... decided it just had to cross the road. Ugh. I wasn't being bright and had not been slowing down, so I had to crank on the brakes (and hard).

I've had to slow down for bear a couple times recently. We seem to have picked up a juvenile in the neighborhood. Had to slow down for him while on the bicycle too.

This happens in cities that were established before cars took over. I remember being in NYC back in 2014, and getting from one end of the city to the other is impossible without breaking traffic laws at least 10 times. I can't imagine how miserable it is to be a trucker in NYC. I also joked about taxi drivers, saying that they must have been really desperate to leave their home country if they were willing to become a cab driver in NYC.

I love NYC, but that doesn't mean it is without disadvantages. After 2 weeks I'm always happy to return to my small town life.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
ESteering is poor on most new cars. Then add garbage strut suspension and soft ,compliant bushings on the lower locating arm pivot point with NO BRAKE force reaction arm ( poor triangulation) and the car is all over the place with a five-degree turn of the wheel.

Oh bull excrement.
All cars can be well controlled by everyone on the planet, IF they are paying attention to what they are doing with the steering wheel.

Electronic steering is not the cause of people crossing over lines ...

And I would happily put up both of the cars in my signature that have EPS and strut suspension against both of the cars in your signature for steering response, cornering ability and road feel, all day, every day, in street use, track use, mountain use, etc.

BC.

You just countered you own argument, buddy.

Some cars handle like $#$$&** some don't. I still lay poor steering at the foot of garbage strut suspensions. There are good ones - but most aren't. I could easily feel the strut "compromise" in my 98 M roadster. An yes that handled better than my Rogue boat.

Try keeping a "typicall" vanilla strut car going straight without CONSTANT attention if its a bit out of align or if it has a oddly formed tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
ESteering is poor on most new cars. Then add garbage strut suspension and soft ,compliant bushings on the lower locating arm pivot point with NO BRAKE force reaction arm ( poor triangulation) and the car is all over the place with a five-degree turn of the wheel.

Oh bull excrement.
All cars can be well controlled by everyone on the planet, IF they are paying attention to what they are doing with the steering wheel.

Electronic steering is not the cause of people crossing over lines ...

And I would happily put up both of the cars in my signature that have EPS and strut suspension against both of the cars in your signature for steering response, cornering ability and road feel, all day, every day, in street use, track use, mountain use, etc.

BC.

You just countered you own argument, buddy.

Some cars handle like $#$$&** some don't. I still lay poor steering at the foot of garbage strut suspensions. There are good ones - but most aren't.
I could easily feel the strut "compromise" in my 98 M roadster. An yes that handled better than my Rogue boat.

Try keeping a "typical" vanilla strut car going straight without CONSTANT attention if its a bit out of align or if it has a oddly formed tire.

Again, electronic steering is not the cause of the car being out of alignment or with a bad tire. That's bad maintenance on the owner's part.
A car with recirculating ball steering would require additional inputs if the steering is out of alignment, or the various steering components had wear.
I learned how to drive on 70's Chevy products.

Electronic steering also doesn't cause people to not pay attention to their driving. That's bad driving habits on the owners part.

And finally, I don't see how I contradicted myself in my post.
Saying that Mazda and Porsche are better at strut suspensions than Nissan and Subaru doesn't invalidate any part of my argument.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back