Tall extension ladders for gutter cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I grow older (and I'm not even 40 yet), I become more adverse to risk with each passing year. I don't go up on ladders past the first story. In North Carolina, it was fine because we had a ranch. Now, in VA, we have a 2-story house and the rear is actually 3 stories up because we have a walk-out basement. Sorry, not happening. I do see some gutter guards sticking up, so the previous owner had them installed (but they may not be in good shape). We have a ton of trees, and this is something I'll have to evaluate this fall (actually, pretty quick-like).

In this case, the risk is not worth the reward to me. Cleaning gutters on a 3rd story is a huge safety risk for me. I won't do it. My wife won't support me doing it. It will be subbed out to an insured contractor. In our case, we'll likely have them inspect the current gutter guards and replace as necessary, so we won't have to worry about it again for a while.

I used to do that same thing year after year 3-5 times a rear too. Popped for leaf filter system for all our gutters and it was the best $2000 I ever spent. You will realize that just before you hit the ground on your first fall

www.leaffilter.com

Last edited:
I think someone pointed out that the ladder is unwieldy at this size; once it tips into a two man job I think you're better off paying.

That said, any manner of being able to attach eye hooks to the rafters? Set ladder up, go up, tie off the ladder. Maybe wear a climbing harness so you too can tie off.

Once you sum up the ladder, climbing gear, eye hooks, etc... perhaps it'll pay for years of cleanings.

This is why my dream house is a single story ranch. Preferably with shallow pitch, no more than 6 in 12 I think. I'd rather pull snow from the bottom, assuming it ever needs it. That and I wouldn't bother with gutters; I don't have 'em, not many of my neighbors do either.

Having the same debate. Ours is a split 3/4 one story and the back is a 2 story. Haven't touched the upper gutters since I lived there (12 years) despite cleaning the others twice a year. And their starting to loosen up a bit. The bad is our houses are so close not even sure I pull the ladder out far enough. I'll figure out something eventually.. at least their not hanging off the house and overflowing like the neighbors.

You've picked a good ladder, should you decide to go through with it. I would however suggest you customize it a bit to make it more stable and safer.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Quick-Click-Ladder-Stabilizer-AC78/100658388

For leveling the ladder safely:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Level-Master-Automatic-Ladder-Leveler-PK80-2/100658394

Common sense, and someone footing the ladder help a lot. Don't stretch beyond arms reach, move the ladder! Spike the ladder with the spears on the feet, and hammer a long spike into the ground centered to the lowest rung to keep the ladder from slipping when working on grass.

Moving the ladder is easy once you learn how to, it's hard to explain but when you see it done it is fairly easy.

I have a low pitch roof so I climb a ladder at the lowest point 'my lot is sloped so I have an area that is one story tall' and use my leaf blower when the leaves are dry. I do this about 3 times a year so I never have a lot of buildup. Typically a 10 minute job. I personally would not climb a ladder 25 or 30 feet to clean the gutters, but I'm not all that fond of heights.

I'd try the gutter cleaning tools from the ground first. Its a royal pain to place a ladder every 6' around any house and then a bigger pain to do it with a big ladder on a tall house.

last March I fell off a 8ft stepladder in my garage, broke 13 bones including 2 compression fractures in my spine. I fell 7 feet onto flat concrete. I could have died, or ended up paralyzed.

I am still recovering. YMMV.

$125 is money well spent. So many other ways to save a buck and not risk grave or serious injury.

If you like this kind of thing buy the harness and rope to tether yourself to chimney or something fixed. My brother in law who'd never pay anyone to something like drop a 50' maple next to his house who instead climbs uses a tether.

Even hanging xmas lights he tethers but he is extremely experienced with OSHA safety as a construction worker.

I fell off of my work truck a few years back. It was a 4' fall that broke my right leg and tore ligaments too. Still have pins through my knee. Walk with a slight limp. Fix it right with gutter guards. Spend the money in the right place and save yourself from future headaches.

Agree with prior poster that 32 ft ladder is hard to handle. I have a 32 ft aluminum ladder (which is "lighter" than fiberglass) and its a bear to handle fully extended.

If the roof isnt too pitched you may want to get on a low section of the roof using a shorter ladder and crawl to the higher section of the roof. That's how I do it on my mom's house. Her roof pitch is about 8/12 so sufficiently less than 45 degree slope that its crawlable. Its about the limit of what I am comfortable crawling around on with a roof peak that's 40 ft above ground and gutters that's about 30 feet above ground. Anything that approaches 45 degree slope ... forget it

My opinion - its not a bad idea to have a ladder tall enough to get to the roof, just in case you ever need it.

Opinion 2 - That's a tall fall. See if its possible to use some kind of safety harness. I'd buy a safety harness, climbing ropes, and figure out a way to be harnessed, in case the ladder takes a tumble.

I think upto 24ft would be doable with a pressure washer, extension and gutter cleaning attachment.

I had a helper that would use the trigger and I would move the tall extension around. for the tallest part I used a 8ft 375lb rated stepladder on plywood. to get some leverage.

The attachment fires in both directions so it neutralizes the spray force.

I now climb 1x or less per year.

Luckily the front gutters are about 10ft high, back are 15ft.

I have helped out a few friends with cleaning their gutters but only if I can climb on the roof. for 20ft+ or use the powerwasher(now)

When I shattered my arm it was a 3ft fall onto dirt.

I also have a helper stabilize the ladder at the bottom.

Never climb alone more than a few feet.

I agree with others to spend the money up front on THE BEST leaf guard system you can get in your area, professionally installed, since you have overhanging maples.. The cheap ones from home improvement stores are junk and you'll be right back up there fiddling with them.

How steep is the slope on your roof??? I clean my gutters by getting on the roof and just sliding my butt along the edge and manually cleaning the gunk out.

Last edited:
I used to regularly watch a neighbor perform this task. He'd haul up a garden hose + nozzle and blast. Climb down, move the ladder, climb back up w/hose, blast more, and repeat. Then do the rear. He'd get soaked & dirty. Never fell.

He did fall however trying to clean a 2nd story window from the same ladder. It was sitting on concrete w/ wife standing on the bottom. He over-reached and down he fell. Shattered a wrist. He was "lucky".

If you're determined to diy this task, I'd suggest doing the work from the roof using fall protection, not from a ladder. Much safer. This is how roofers work.

You didn't mention your roof pitch.

SS fine-mesh, hiqh-quality gutter screen would serve you well in this instance!

So would removing them entirely. If they're needed to carry away storm runoff, you can install gutters in the ground. Fine Homebuilding had an article on perimeter drains that would work well. This way your gutter maintainence can be done from the ground.

(JHZR2 - This thread made me realize I'd forgotten about your extinguisher question; ever make a purchase?)
As for this question -- I'm a firm believer in DIY/self-reliance, but 100% in agreement with your wife.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Figure a way to secure the ladder well to help the shake. Get the legs on a hard surface or feet for the legs. If you ever watch a good fire dept scale and secure ladders you will see what I am talking about.

Can you be a little more specific with what you mean by "scale and secure"? What techniques have you observed?

I have a 32' fiberglass extension ladder - as noted, they are heavy and difficult for one average person to handle. They are not bad once you get them in the air, but they are a bear until then. On the good side, they are not wobbly at the heights you normally use a ladder. I would probably use the ladder to get on the roof, and then clean everything standing on the roof. When you are looking at the ground, it is pretty easy to keep your situational awareness that you are at a height from which a fall can kill you. When on a ladder, it's easier to lose track of where you are. At least that's how it is for me. I have some concern my ladder would be heavy enough to damage guttering.

If the ground around your house is firm and level, consider renting a scissors lift. I've only used them on hard surfaces, so that may not work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back