Sig P938 Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: Doog
I'll give you $200 for that piece of junk.....
grin.gif

LOL... I'm not quite ready to give up on it...yet. I think it's a good gun - I just need to figure these issues out.

You need some blue loctite on the screws and guide rod. On the trigger try a good scrubbing and some synthetic grease on the friction points. Same for the mag release. It may not be catching due to dirt so it is not "letting go" of the mags just never fully engaging. A small dab of grease might solve this issue.

I'll give you $200 for that piece of junk.....
grin.gif

LOL... I'm not quite ready to give up on it...yet. I think it's a good gun - I just need to figure these issues out.

You need some blue loctite on the screws and guide rod. On the trigger try a good scrubbing and some synthetic grease on the friction points. Same for the mag release. It may not be catching due to dirt so it is not "letting go" of the mags just never fully engaging. A small dab of grease might solve this issue.

Bout ready to try some red loctite on the screws. If the new guide rod comes apart again, I'll try red on it too.

You might be right about the mag catch. I did experience that problem again last night (again, only with the finger extension mag). No trigger reset issues, but I did only fire 20 rounds or so.

I think a detail strip is in order.

Blue Loctite should be more than sufficient. Red is extremely strong, and is considered to be permanent. It requires a lot of heat to remove anything bonded with it. If you apply a lot of heat to a spring you will ruin it.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Blue Loctite should be more than sufficient. Red is extremely strong, and is considered to be permanent. It requires a lot of heat to remove anything bonded with it. If you apply a lot of heat to a spring you will ruin it.

It's the grip screws we're talking about.

OK, got it. I thought you were talking about the recoil spring. Even with the grip screws I no longer mess with any permanent thread locker. Especially in Aluminum framed guns. Instead I use Vibra-Tite. It does not harden, but rather remains flexible. I've seen both blue and purple Loctite strip out the fine threads in Aluminum framed guns. This won't. It's also reusable. Sig furnishes it's grip screws with it already applied.

http://store.sigsauer.com/grip-screw-set-p226.html

https://www.vibra-tite.com/products/threadlockers/vibra-tite-vc-3-threadmate/

Yeah definitely don't want to permanently attach the grip screws since that's where you need to clean.

I can see how you might want the guide rod permanent.

What about the issue with loctite off gasing affecting plastic parts? This is also a consideration for the holster too, since I know that the Sig is mostly metal

OK, got it. I thought you were talking about the recoil spring. Even with the grip screws I no longer mess with any permanent thread locker. Especially in Aluminum framed guns. Instead I use Vibra-Tite. It does not harden, but rather remains flexible. I've seen both blue and purple Loctite strip out the fine threads in Aluminum framed guns. This won't. It's also reusable. Sig furnishes it's grip screws with it already applied.

Which one of the vibra tite numbered formulas is best with polymer gun frames?

That must be what was on the replacement screws Sig sent me. Red stuff. Small amount.

Mine is a 2016 and the guide rod, although it looks identical to older Sigs in pictures, it just won't budge. I am guessing Sig caught onto the issue and are using some type of bonding agent on it now but I look it over every time I clean it anyway.

The magazine issue, well mine just came home from Mama Sig for the exact same reason. The magazine release button is now much harder to push down than before. I think they have gone to stronger springs, again maybe catching onto a chronic design flaw. I have not shot it yet to confirm but it feels so much stiffer I am confident they fixed it.

The weak spring coupled with the little extra finger pressure the extended mag gives was enough to cause problems, which started at around 400 rounds. I was able to duplicate the issue once with the flat bottom mag though.

It's my first Sig, their service has been impressive but now this gun just needs to run and run and run or there won't be any more Sigs for me.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Mine is a 2016 and the guide rod, although it looks identical to older Sigs in pictures, it just won't budge. I am guessing Sig caught onto the issue and are using some type of bonding agent on it now but I look it over every time I clean it anyway.

The magazine issue, well mine just came home from Mama Sig for the exact same reason. The magazine release button is now much harder to push down than before. I think they have gone to stronger springs, again maybe catching onto a chronic design flaw. I have not shot it yet to confirm but it feels so much stiffer I am confident they fixed it.

The weak spring coupled with the little extra finger pressure the extended mag gives was enough to cause problems, which started at around 400 rounds. I was able to duplicate the issue once with the flat bottom mag though.

It's my first Sig, their service has been impressive but now this gun just needs to run and run and run or there won't be any more Sigs for me.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was trying to decide whether to waste time completely disassembling it myself and maybe not even finding an obvious problem, or just sending back to Sig. From your experience, I just made my decision. It's going to Sig.

I have a Kahr CW380 and really like it, talk about a true pocket gun. Was actually looking for a CM9 or CM40 when I ended up with the Sig.

Sad to say but at this point I trust the Kahr more than the Sig and I paid less than half as much coin for it.

Still love that little 1911 style Sig, mine is going to get a good work out so we shall see if it hangs around or not. There is much to like about the gun, but I have to be able to completely trust it. Originally it only ran about 98%, after hundreds of break in rounds that smoothed out but then the magazine issue started.

Ironically my buddy bought a brand new P938 a few months ago because he liked mine, and his has run like a Swiss watch for hundreds of rounds already, not the slightest hint of any issue.

I sent mine off to Sig.

It did tick me off that I had to drop $55 on shipping.

I think I'm going to put it up for sale and get a Kahr.

I sent mine off to Sig. It did tick me off that I had to drop $55 on shipping.

Look at it this way. You spent $55 and shipped a whole gun. I spent $10 just to get 5 grip screws shipped! Sig is asinine.

I can't think of a worse carry gun than a micro 1911 style pistol. Well I can, and thats anything made by Kahr.

Two of the absolute worst carry pistols on the planet, and they are the two first choices for the OP. Scratching my freaking head here in bewilderment.

Ive owned like 10 Kahr pistols over the years. Kept giving them chance after chance, dropped several thousands of dollars worth of ammo through them in testing, to finally, after all these years, come to the conclusion that the pistols are just flat out junk. They work (sometimes) they jam (a lot) and they just flat out dont meet the reliability standards of a defensive pistol for me. I'd rather own a hi-point. Seriously.

I would highly urge you to check out the Walther PPS or Glock 42/43. Or a j-frame. Or an LCP. Or a Taurus TCP.

I can and do pocket carry a Glock 43 every day. Fits in all my pockets just fine. If you wear skinny jeans, then the Glock 42 should fit fine.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I can't think of a worse carry gun than a micro 1911 style pistol. Well I can, and thats anything made by Kahr. Two of the absolute worst carry pistols on the planet, and they are the two first choices for the OP. Scratching my freaking head here in bewilderment.

I think Rob Pincus would agree with you.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I can't think of a worse carry gun than a micro 1911 style pistol. Well I can, and thats anything made by Kahr.

Two of the absolute worst carry pistols on the planet, and they are the two first choices for the OP. Scratching my freaking head here in bewilderment.

Ive owned like 10 Kahr pistols over the years. Kept giving them chance after chance, dropped several thousands of dollars worth of ammo through them in testing, to finally, after all these years, come to the conclusion that the pistols are just flat out junk. They work (sometimes) they jam (a lot) and they just flat out dont meet the reliability standards of a defensive pistol for me. I'd rather own a hi-point. Seriously.

I would highly urge you to check out the Walther PPS or Glock 42/43. Or a j-frame. Or an LCP. Or a Taurus TCP.

I can and do pocket carry a Glock 43 every day. Fits in all my pockets just fine. If you wear skinny jeans, then the Glock 42 should fit fine.

You're "scratching your head in bewilderment" because I'm interested in a Kahr, yet you've owned "like ten" Kahr pistols over the years and you've "dropped several thousands of dollars on ammo in testing" before you realized they were junk?

It took you owning ten Kahr handguns and thousands of dollars to figure that out?

Wow, you've got me scratching MY head now.

You're "scratching your head in bewilderment" because I'm interested in a Kahr, yet you've owned "like ten" Kahr pistols over the years and you've "dropped several thousands of dollars on ammo in testing" before you realized they were junk?

It took you owning ten Kahr handguns and thousands of dollars to figure that out?

Wow, you've got me scratching MY head now.

Well to be fair, I love the size of them, and figured there has to be ONE good Kahr pistol out there. Never did find that unicorn.

And I do thoroughly test a defensive firearm before putting it into service. And I already budget many thousands of dollars a year in ammunition so while it was annoying that I never found my unicorn, at least I was at the range learning first hand what I needed to know, and having fun while doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back