Zulu or Nato watch band?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered a 5 ring Zulu watch band . Will see if I like it once it gets here and I put it on my new watch.You guys have a preference betwwen these two?

For the most part, I'm a fan of the NATO bands, I like the lower profile keepers and typically thinner material. Sometimes I cut off the extra flap of material to lower the profile even more. I do wear a Zulu on one of my heavier dive watches though, holds in place a little better.

In general though, I've grown to really like webbing style straps, so much more comfortable than rubber or a bracelet. I even wear them for dressier occasions over leather just because I like the thin profile (and comfort).

What watch is it going on?

I made my own many years ago from thin utility strapping, the sort of thing people use to attach sleeping bags etc, to rucksacs, with a strong plastic buckle.

A major advantage is security. If the pin pops on a conventional watch strap, the strap is broken and you are quite likely to lose the watch.

With a strap that goes through both pins, the watch remains attached but flaps around so you'll notice you lost the pin.

IF this style was universal, fixed pins could be used, but that isn't likely to happen.

EdwardC , This is for a Timex Expedition Scout. As mentioned in a previous post I`m not one to dish out a lot of money on a watch.

NATO bands are not my thing, but will concede that they look good on certain types of watches and certainly will have a lot going for them.

With that said, even if I liked them I would refuse to buy from the current company selling NATO branded bands. They successfully managed to trademark a term that has been in common use for canvas watch bands for about 50 years, and have gone the Monster cables route of sending cease and desist orders to a lot of other companies that were making NATO brand bands and calling them as such before this guy ever bought the name. If I were to buy one, I'd buy from a reputable watch band seller that sells a "Canvas Military-style band" or something to that effect rather than one branded NATO.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
They successfully managed to trademark a term that has been in common use for canvas watch bands for about 50 years, and have gone the Monster cables route of sending cease and desist orders to a lot of other companies that were making NATO brand bands and calling them as such before this guy ever bought the name.

Didn't know that. I had a quick Google and there seem to be several companies using the term.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
They successfully managed to trademark a term that has been in common use for canvas watch bands for about 50 years, and have gone the Monster cables route of sending cease and desist orders to a lot of other companies that were making NATO brand bands and calling them as such before this guy ever bought the name.

Didn't know that. I had a quick Google and there seem to be several companies using the term.

Yes, several companies have caved and licensed the name.

Like I said, I would not buy a current NATO branded strap on principle regardless of who's making it.

Omega is now selling something with a NATO band, but I think the guy behind all of this is smart enough to not poke the sleeping giant that is the SWATCH group. I think that if it went to court, especially with the resources of the SWATCH group, the guy would have his trademark claim laughed out of court.

I got my Zulu band a couple days ago and like it . Like the looks and it`s comfortable. Also like that it is thicker than my Nato bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back