Certified CRV or Sante Fe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter is getting ready to trade the 2009 Civic college car in. The 2 choices are a 2014 CRV LX (certified) or a 2015 SanfaFe Sport (certified)

Which one is the better vehicle? Both have 30-40,000 miles.

Last edited:
The CRV has in the past received very good ratings for trouble free operation. That reputation for reliability is, no doubt, reflected in the used price. Based on observations in my neighborhood, folks with CRVs usually hang on to them.

If it were me, I would go with the Honda, assuming everything else is in line (that she likes it etc)
I have never heard too many people complain about their CRV's. They are pretty solid.

Some of the Gen4 CRVs have a terrible vibration at idle, and I think the 2014-15 are the affected model years. I would get the Hyundai.

Road and wind noise as well as bad radios are synonymous with Honda of that era.......
I owned too many new ones to count and for now- no more.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Some of the Gen4 CRVs have a terrible vibration at idle, and I think the 2014-15 are the affected model years. I would get the Hyundai.

budget for the honda's AC to go [censored] up too. Pretty much universal.

2015 Hyundai. I've been very impressed with the Santa Fe rentals I've had. Much less-so with CRVs... and that doesn't even take into account the maintenance issues other people have mentioned.

The CR-V's drivetrain is pretty proven by now, and it's an excellent all-around small-but-tall vehicle. The biggest dislike I had about our CR-V is the small group size 51 battery, which doesn't tolerate much engine-off load before it loses enough juice so that it can't crank the engine. Otherwise, Honda's K-series engine is about as durable as it gets -- that engine has been around for about 15 years now. I think the 2014 model still uses the port-injected version, with a conventional 5-speed automatic. Pretty bulletproof. An LX model is probably lacking privacy glass and will probably have 16" steel wheels vs. the 17" alloys of other trim lines. This may or may not be a plus for your/her situation, I don't know.

1. Santa Fe Sport 2.4 (none-turbo)
2. CRV
3. Santa Fe Sport 2.0T

...and i own the turbo version. The less complex the engine the better for a novice. That also goes for the transmission. The Santa Fe group uses a typical stepped gear 6spd AT. The CRV, i believe is CVT.

The Santa Fe Sport 2.4 is the least complex of the three.

But not a bad choice in the bunch.

I think you need to consider which is a better value. Hondas don't depreciate much, and as a result, are a horrible, if not stupid value in the used market when just a few years old. Ill bet she can find a new one for nearly the price of one with 40k and 2 years.

I'd go with CRV. Better value retention. But that means it's hard to buy up front.

If they are the same price I'd lean towards the CRV. But drive both.

Originally Posted By: wemay
1. Santa Fe Sport 2.4 (none-turbo)
2. CRV
3. Santa Fe Sport 2.0T

...and i own the turbo version. The less complex the engine the better for a novice. That also goes for the transmission. The Santa Fe group uses a typical stepped gear 6spd AT. The CRV, i believe is CVT.

The Santa Fe Sport 2.4 is the least complex of the three.

But not a bad choice in the bunch.

The 2014 CRV uses a conventional 5-speed automatic. 2015 was the first CRV/CVT combination.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

2015s had the vibration issue related to the new engine/transmission combination. Not that it matters to the OP, but Honda has a free and effective solution to that issue. 2014s were not part of the problem.

There is some incorrect info about the CRV floating around. This year had the K24 with the 5 speed auto, not the CVT. The only issue I can think of that the CRV's sometimes experience is the faulty VTC actuator. It buzzes on start up until it locks in place, the noise lasts about 2 seconds. It would be covered under powertrain warranty if you experience it. Other than that they are very solid. The Hyundai probably has more feature but they depreciate quickly. I really like the looks of the Santa Fe though and it will probably be reliable as well. If you plan on keeping it long term get the CRV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back