Waste Oil company scammers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
So why again do they "super heat" the oil if its already a liquid at room temperature?
I'm not sure. They ran it up to near 400F and under pressure first. Maybe to drive off lighter components?

So what shingle manufacture did you work for?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
So why again do they "super heat" the oil if its already a liquid at room temperature?
I'm not sure. They ran it up to near 400F and under pressure first. Maybe to drive off lighter components?

So what shingle manufacture did you work for?

Not sure? Yet you know the rest about "making asphalt"?

I've never worked for a shingle company. You are the one who has, I'm asking you.

So this liquid oil that they used - was it waste oil or virgin?

I know they had a gas powered boiler that would heat the oil and they used it to keep the asphalt liquid as it was pumped through double wall steel lines.

Maybe it was cheaper to buy the oil an make their own asphalt.

Didn't you tell me that my company was unique in the way they used asphalt? I was just wondering what you were comparing to?

Never did I say they were unique in the way they used asphalt. All asphalt shingle manufacturers use asphalt to make shingles. What would be unique is if they use lower molecular weight petroleum fractions (oil) and then somehow reform it into asphalt. That would be unique.

Never did I say they were unique in the way they used asphalt. All asphalt shingle manufacturers use asphalt to make shingles. What would be unique is if they use lower molecular weight petroleum fractions (oil) and then somehow reform it into asphalt. That would be unique.
If you have a link to that I'd believe it. But if not just more of your telling some facts you are just guessing about. IKO has been in business a long time.

Maybe you can tell us how the other big guys do it.

If you have a link to that I'd believe it. But if not just more of your telling some facts you are just guessing about. IKO has been in business a long time.

Sure. They buy asphalt and make shingles.

Are you sure of that?

There's been some confusion between asphalt and used motor oil when it comes to road repairs...not the same issue here ?

Are you sure of that?

Yes, even more sure now that I contacted IKO and asked them. Here is their response, they use bitumen - asphalt. They do not make their own from motor oil.

Quote:
The asphalt used in the manufacture of shingles, is completely different than motor oil and motor oil has nothing to do with the manufacture of shingles.

We purchase bitumen, and oxidize (impart air) into it ourselves. For some products we also add SBS (styrene-butadiene—styrene) rubber to the asphalt.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sales Support Co-ordinator

IKO Industries Ltd./Canroof Corporation
Calgary Regional Office

Are you sure of that?

Yes, even more sure now that I contacted IKO and asked them. Here is their response, they use bitumen - asphalt. They do not make their own from motor oil.

Quote:
The asphalt used in the manufacture of shingles, is completely different than motor oil and motor oil has nothing to do with the manufacture of shingles.

We purchase bitumen, and oxidize (impart air) into it ourselves. For some products we also add SBS (styrene-butadiene—styrene) rubber to the asphalt.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Sales Support Co-ordinator

IKO Industries Ltd./Canroof Corporation
Calgary Regional Office
Who said they used motor oil?

Bitumen is asphalt. They oxidize it somewhat to make it more rigid. Oil, motor or otherwise has nothing to do with the process unless it is used simply to heat the asphalt for processing.

I did not expect this thread to be so interesting. Hope the oilman stays here, he gets the conversation going.

Originally Posted By: Oilmanjean
Another archaic term for asphalt/bitumen is "pitch".

The term "pitch" mostly gets used where I come from for the heavy fraction from the destructive distillation of wood, as in "Pitch Pine", a N. American tree species.

Maybe it can also be a synonym for asphalt/bitumen (After all, in the US they think petrol is a gas, so anything goes) but that's more often called "tar", when it isn't being called asphalt/bitumen.

"Tar" can also be wood-derived, as in "Stockholm Tar", and then it is a bit thinner than wood-derived pitch.

"Waste oil/sump oil/used oil" is called "waste oil/sump oil/used oil", and is different.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Oilmanjean
Another archaic term for asphalt/bitumen is "pitch".

The term "pitch" mostly gets used where I come from for the heavy fraction from the destructive distillation of wood, as in "Pitch Pine", a N. American tree species.

Maybe it can also be a synonym for asphalt/bitumen (After all, in the US they think petrol is a gas, so anything goes) but that's more often called "tar", when it isn't being called asphalt/bitumen.

"Tar" can also be wood-derived, as in "Stockholm Tar", and then it is a bit thinner than wood-derived pitch.

"Waste oil/sump oil/used oil" is called "waste oil/sump oil/used oil", and is different.
We call it tar here. But if you took waste oil and distilled the lighter elements out, what do you have? Not saying they use it for that.

We call it tar here. But if you took waste oil and distilled the lighter elements out, what do you have? Not saying they use it for that.

Oil is already distilled at the refinery and while there may be oxidation thickening, are you claiming that polymerization occurs in an engine to produce asphalt?

Oil is already distilled at the refinery and while there may be oxidation thickening, are you claiming that polymerization occurs in an engine to produce asphalt?
No I did not suggest that. I said that waste oil could have the lighter components driven off and the result is tar.

I said that waste oil could have the lighter components driven off and the result is tar.

I would be very interested in seeing that kind of alchemy first hand

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
I said that waste oil could have the lighter components driven off and the result is tar.

Don't change the oil in a sludge-prone car?

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist

Don't change the oil in a sludge-prone car?

It would still be oxidized oil, not longer chain hydrocarbons somehow reformed in the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back