2007 BMW R1200GSA Pennzoil 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 5 years since the last analysis so I thought it would be a good time for another. I have never put 100k on a bike and that is my goal with this one. I'm averaging about 5-6k per year so it will still take me a while.

img003-L.jpg

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Seems like this Pennzoil got beaten up a bit. Which oil were you running when you did the previous UOA?

Mobil 1 15w-50.

10W40 is NOT the recommended oil viscosity. Use oil that meets the specification XXW50 and expect better than 300K engine life.

Rod

I knew this would come up.

A common issue on hexhead boxers of this vintage is a weeping rear main engine gasket. The bike has an automotive style dry clutch so there is no shared sump.

The problem is that the oil can often find its way to the clutch plate and that is what happened to me. There is a company by the name of Siebenrock that actually makes a clutch for the BMW that is supposedly impervious to oil. I plan to buy one when I get around to replacing my clutch.

In the mean time, the Pennzoil high mileage oil has completely eliminated the occasional clutch slippage that I experienced at high speed top gear roll-ons. These boxers are not hard on oil and I am aware of the fact that my present oil is not the recommended viscosity but I am OK with that and this engine will still probably outlast me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I know nothing about BMW engines or recommended oils but you certainly can not ask for lower motorcycle engine wear numbers in a Blackstone report.. heck, if only comparing wear metals, wear was 50% high using Mobile 1 15/50 and on par with first report which may have also been Mobil 1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Try VR1 20/50. You will not be disappointed.

Thanks. I will check it out after I replace my clutch and rear main oil seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back