Octane for hot weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if you buy Shell at a place that moves allot of V-Power - but the spread in cost where I live leaves folks buying mostly regular - a bit of mid range - and not enough V-Power where I feel it is fresh.
My EcoBoost is one of these "switch hitter" octane motors - For a while - messed around with Shell & Exxon upper/lower pumps - finally concluded I had put a micrometer on a brick - now just getting the fresh regular from those two brands ...

After 4 weeks, 2 fillups, with 93 octane E10: I thought I wasn't noticing any more peppiness to the car's acceleration. This weekend I filled up with 89, however, and I do think the Regal seems a bit more sluggish than it did on 93. Not sure that 93 would be a good idea for hot weather operation in the long run, as the summer here lasts 10 months, but I'll remember this the next time I have a long highway trip to make in hot conditions.

Running a mix of 89 and 93 E10 right now. The car does seem (and I repeat, seem, as it's subjective) a bit smoother and quicker to accelerate to speed. It's subtle, and I could be imagining it. Whether it's worth it in the long run is a story for yet another day (perhaps the day that gas prices skyrocket again).

I've gone back to 87 octane. The car's running was not improved enough, and my gas mileage was unaffected in any significant amount, by the 93 to make it worth while.

If I felt any improvement at all I'd stick with 93. Both our vehicles spec 87 and I've tried 93 in the turbo. No change at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back