High temp 75w140 for Ford Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on replacing the PTU fluid on the wifes Explorer and Ford specs 1.1 pints of 75w140 motorcraft synthetic gear oil. These are known to run quite hot and there seems to be some repeat seal failures attributed to early fluid break down due to high heat. At this point I'm fine doing the MC 75w140 as its a solid gear oil which I already have on the shelf. Next change I will look towards finding the best fluid possible.

Is there a more robust gear oil available for elevated temps? Maybe Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: buck91
I plan on replacing the PTU fluid on the wifes Explorer and Ford specs 1.1 pints of 75w140 motorcraft synthetic gear oil. These are known to run quite hot and there seems to be some repeat seal failures attributed to early fluid break down due to high heat. At this point I'm fine doing the MC 75w140 as its a solid gear oil which I already have on the shelf. Next change I will look towards finding the best fluid possible.

Is there a more robust gear oil available for elevated temps? Maybe Amsoil Severe Gear or Redline?

Seals leaking is mainly attributed to too low an operating viscosity and hardened seals.
Seals materials hardening/failure is mainly attributed to high operating temperature with inadequate material quality.

Besides PAO grp IV gear oils at higher price, I would opt for thicker synthetic grp III 80W140 or mineral 85W140/mono 140 .. for 'similar or stronger' level of wear protection.
blush.gif

I just p/u Amsoil today to change out the factory fill. I have 20k on a 2015 Flex w/ecoboost.

Looking at the same thing for an Edge I service. Trying to decide what fluid. I think I might just go with either motorcraft or Mobil 1 for the first change. Both seem decent by the numbers. Then after a couple thousand miles, I'll change it again.

Does anyone know if gear oil (75w140) has detergents in it to break up gunk? I've seen some of these PTUs taken apart, and the pictures never look to great. No drain hole, combine with low capacity and high heat mean those things appear to sludge up fairly quickly. The all wheel drive system in these things seem terrific, but this PTU seems like a the biggest possible point of failure.

I don't think gear oil has any specific detergents. I have a drain plug so I flushed with a couple cleaners then did 2 gear oil drain and fills before the final.

I would think even if you have to use an extractor pump that should work for you also

Originally Posted By: buck91
I don't think gear oil has any specific detergents. I have a drain plug so I flushed with a couple cleaners then did 2 gear oil drain and fills before the final.

I would think even if you have to use an extractor pump that should work for you also

I wish this sucker had a drain plug. what did your old fluid look like coming out? how many miles? This Edge has about 45,000 miles. I notice alot of "drag" when coasting, something that others online have said get much better changing the ptu fluid.

70k. It looked like dark grey paint or maybe thin tar. Even the Seafoam I used to flush came out rather thick.

Haven't noticed much difference and I did engine oil, atf, rear dif and ptu as well as air filter

My 08 Edge just turned 180,000 miles and I have never changed the PTU oil. I am going to be doing this soon. I have seen on Youtube where guys have put drain plugs in the PTU.

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
My 08 Edge just turned 180,000 miles and I have never changed the PTU oil. I am going to be doing this soon. I have seen on Youtube where guys have put drain plugs in the PTU.

I'd recommend using a chisel to get the old oil out.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

I'd recommend using a chisel to get the old oil out.

Wait..... send the chisel for heat treatment hardening prior to use, preserving for further use in future.
grin.gif

And the dealer never serviced it?? From what I've seen, thats pretty impressive. I mean maybe, MAYBE this is one of those issues the internet makes seem worse. But I've asked the local ford dealer before and they mentioned they change out PTUs fairly often on escapes and explorers.

I'm going to try to tackle changing it on the 2011 edge 3.5 this weekend. Hopefully i have enough room to suction it out through the fill hole.

What year is your Explorer ?
Looked under 2015 today and don't see drain/fill - and found nothing in owners manual except it holds 18 ounces ...
Suck job ? Under air induction system ?

Mine is a '14 X Sport. These came with a drain plug and no real fill plug (hence filling through the vent tube). Non-sport models have the opposite, no drain plug but an accessible fill plug. Many people have successfully used a fluid extractor; many others have installed their own drain plug. This information is readily found by either google search or browsing the various ecoboost, taurus, Flex or explorer forums. PM me and I'll try to pull some URL's from my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back