Supertech ST4386

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut the super tech open awhile back. I didn't like much about it. The ADBV was made of this odd rubbery material that wasn't very springy, retains it's shape. The one picture I bent the lip to show how it isn't very springy and has a bad memory. I can see why people have problems with it. The element is very small compared to the can size due to the large combo valve and long spring. The media is thin and not very deep. Other than that it is wonderful.
DSCN2082_zpsvgt42tp6.jpg

DSCN2081_zpspe6ttrwp.jpg

DSCN2086_zpsn9tlu5xm.jpg

I thought this would go with the Pro Select recently posted. For me I wouldn't use this filter if it were free.

This thread starter seems like a repetition of the thread starter posted HERE in April.

Be that as it may, much as I don't prefer Ecores in part for their use of combo valves, similarly this specific ST application wouldn't be my first preference either. Same as any similar Pro Select, Silver or O'R MicroGard using one wouldn't be either. That said, not all applications use a combo valve, some use Wix traditional thread end bypass and some use separate metal dome bypass.

Having seen the ST9688 posted HERE and the ST3614 posted HERE both using separate metal dome end bypasses, I'd have no problem using either of those applications for a ~5k mile oci on my vehicles. For $2.88, seems to me to be a very serviceable option in this tier filter 'imo'.

Gotta say, I just took a NAPA Gold off my E350 whose ADBV failed. It sits about 10-15% down off the horizontal and when I took it off it was only about 1/4 filled with oil.

Two days ago opened a brand new WIX that I got from RockAuto that was dented on the top of the can. Had it for a while so I can't return it now.

Had a number of problems with Fram filters over the years which I stopped using over a decade ago because of them.

I'm probably going to be buying OEM from the dealer from now on. Seems like the difference in price is little or nothing. It's just the inconvenience of having to go there.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: pbm
I'd use that filter over a Purolator any day.
Yawn. ANY Purolator?

Since the Supertech is an entry level, $3 filter....I am comparing it to Purolator's lower priced line.....although even their older, higher priced Pureones had TEARING issues.

Speaking of Purolator...

I've been cutting them open since they re-imaged their brands (Classic is now Red can) and they've been looking decent after 5k, as far as the L14610 is concerned.

Nothing against Wix, just convenient oil special at the PepBoys.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Made in USA
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif
34.gif

Except it also says 75% USA on the box. Which leads to the question what 25% means and what parts are not USA made. 25% by weight, number of parts, what? I

Some irony here for the nitpick (imo) of the Super Tech filters which say made in the US, and the first/original ST4386 thread in April linked in my previous post, comparing it to the Toyota Denso oem which is Hencho in Thailand.

Looks relatively basic and inexpensive, but you know it also looks to be built solidly enough.. I'd run one if it fit my car without worry, at least based off what I'm seeing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back