Mobil Delvac 5w40 (CJ-4) vs (PC-11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am betting there will not be any "clearance" sales as there will still be a steady need for CJ-4 whether it is due to resistance to change or due to the market conditions. To be sure, I have waffled on this point too, but as when SN came out and I had SM since my engine was specc'ed to use SM, there was no need to run out and grab SN, I think the same applies here. If you find CJ-4 cheap buy it or if CK-4 can be had in the same way, buy it instead. I plan to buy Delvac 1 CJ-4 on special if/when it arises, otherwise, it will be business as usual for me. I also wonder how many changes were made to CJ-4 Delvac 1 to make it into CK-4, maybe not too many?

Great 2015_PSD. Thanks for the advice. Been thinking/wondering the same thing. Hopefully a clearance will present itself...otherwise will stay the course on sales/rebates. Take care.

At $10/gallon (after rebate), you're getting a fantastic deal. I don't believe that Mobil or anyone selling their products will offer anything better.

Load up on it and smile!

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
At $10/gallon (after rebate), you're getting a fantastic deal. I don't believe that Mobil or anyone selling their products will offer anything better. Load up on it and smile!
Totally agree on this one. $10 per gallon for M1 Delvac ESP is way cheap.

I will probably stock up again. To 2015_PSD's thought, how different will CJ-4 Delvac 5w-40 be from PC-11's version? Thanks again to all.

I have started to warm to the CK-4 idea somewhat. My factory remanned 2000 Detroit 60, when CI-4 was just coming out, has done extremely well on CJ-4. And that is using a 10w30 syn blend instead of the typical 15w40 stuff! From what I have been picking up here and there about the CK-4, it shouldn't be an issue and might in some ways be better. Not rushing out to get CK-4 when it shows up, but think my comfort zone will be modified enough to try it out when it comes the next time to make a bulk oil buy. I have enough now to get me thru the first quarter of next year.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
PC-11 looks good as per claims. https://mobildelvac.com/en/article/resource-center/new-mobil-delvac-pc-11-engine-oils

Questions is...I have 2 more oil changes with Delvac 5w-40 (CJ-4) oil. Should I get more at my usual $10 a gallon rate (Napa + Mobil Rebates) or wait for any clearance sales between now and December on Delvac 5w-40 (CJ-4) oil (December is Mobil's PC-11 launch date)? Thanks again.

I think the rebates are a great deal, might as well grab them while they are there. Clearance sales would be nice too, but the rebates are hard to beat. I can't see the retailers really offering clearances on the Delvac 1 5W-40, there aren't that many places selling it to begin with, so, I don't know if they would want to offer clearances on the premium oils, the Delvac 1300 15W-40, yes, I could see clearances being made to clear the old stock, stores usually have a large stock of the Delvac 1300.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am betting there will not be any "clearance" sales as there will still be a steady need for CJ-4 whether it is due to resistance to change or due to the market conditions. To be sure, I have waffled on this point too, but as when SN came out and I had SM since my engine was specc'ed to use SM, there was no need to run out and grab SN, I think the same applies here. If you find CJ-4 cheap buy it or if CK-4 can be had in the same way, buy it instead. I plan to buy Delvac 1 CJ-4 on special if/when it arises, otherwise, it will be business as usual for me. I also wonder how many changes were made to CJ-4 Delvac 1 to make it into CK-4, maybe not too many?

I am wondering what changes were made to Delvac 1 as well. Mobil hasn't made any mention yet, on the Delvac website, when it talks about the improvements made, it said the results were compared to the CJ-4 formulations of 1300 Super and Elite oils, not the Delvac 1.

I will probably stock up again. To 2015_PSD's thought, how different will CJ-4 Delvac 5w-40 be from PC-11's version? Thanks again to all.

We'll never know what they (Mobil) changed in the D1 ESP formula. They may have left it alone. Shell says that their CJ-4 oils already met CK-4 standards, and although they did improve their products, maybe Mobil left the D1 as it was.

I'm guessing that maybe the unannounced FA-4 synthetic is Delvac 1 LE 5W30..? Or maybe not. If it is, then it would seem that Mobil is reworking that formulation. Otherwise, I would think that it would already be on that new chart.

PC-11 looks good as per claims. https://mobildelvac.com/en/article/resource-center/new-mobil-delvac-pc-11-engine-oils

.....Should I get more Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 at my usual $10 a gallon rate?(Napa + Mobil Rebates)

I hope the same rebates on Delvac 1 5W40 are offered at my local Napa store. That's a fantastic price per gallon! I've been curious to try it in the dead of Winter in my Series 60 Detroit.

I posted here recently that I've seen Mobil's conventional 15W40 Super 1300 on end aisle clearance at Walmart for around $10.60 per gallon.

Hi Dak27,

Napa online has Mobil Delvac 5w40 for $21.99...plus Mobil has their $12 off per gallon manufacturer's rebate. Would assume your local Napa has the same pricing? Take care everyone.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I am betting there will not be any "clearance" sales as there will still be a steady need for CJ-4 whether it is due to resistance to change or due to the market conditions.

That was my experience here with the CJ-4 rollout. People were prepared to pay full price for the CI-4+ stragglers. So, why clear them out at a discount?

Originally Posted By: Rocdoc27
Will the new FA-4 oil be backwards compatible? If not, we're gonna have to be careful what oil we buy after December.
There are two specifications as part of PC-11 (A&B); FA-4 and CK-4. FA-4 is a new oil specification and has very limited backward compatibility with prior specifications. CK-4 is fully compatible with CJ-4 and similar prior specifications (simply put). The packaging is supposed make identification of the two types more apparent, but one should always check to be sure. For example, Mobil Delvac has yellow caps for FA-4 on the jugs versus black caps for CK-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back