BOOM- Yeti this, Yeti that, Yeti Yeit ©

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prestige cooler, IMHO.

You're better off with the super insulated Igloo, Coleman, etc. - they all make them.

For the cost of a Yeti, spend a little more and you could get one of those 12v coolers with a compressor that will freeze your stuff if you want.

If you just need to keep things cool, one of the $100 or so Peltier coolers work really well. We have a Koolatron that fits behind the seats and while it won't keep things ice cold it works great for an iceless drink cooler while on the road and an go into the hotel very easily. We take one of those 12v jump start packs and it will power the cooler for a few hours in the car to keep things cool. It won't freeze things but even in a car in the sun you still get a cold drink in the summer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
you are a nobody if you dont have a Yeti sticker on your truck/suv/jeep

Ain't that the truth, It's the new Duck's Head sticker (Whatever that means?) Mossy Oak, And the Buck thing that looks like a Deer with a tribal tattoo above it's head.

Yeti coolers have been around awhile now, Who knew something simple as an ice chest could become a status symbol??

Yeti's getting ready for an IPO in October.
There's been a few WSJ articles on them - one mentioned the
coolers are hot theft items off of docked boats.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
cptbarkey said:

Ain't that the truth, It's the new Duck's Head sticker (Whatever that means?) Mossy Oak,

Ducks Unlimited. Mossy Oak makes alot of clothing reasonable prices around here anyways. Pheasants Forever doesn't have a simplified logo yet. I burn properties for them for habitat restoration.

The brand strategy is intended to bring trade from those who don't have enough sense to realize that they're paying much more for a product no better than generic ones available at Walmart, Target or Meijer.
So far it's working.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Ain't that the truth, It's the new Duck's Head sticker (Whatever that means?) Mossy Oak, And the Buck thing that looks like a Deer with a tribal tattoo above it's head.

Yeti coolers have been around awhile now, Who knew something simple as an ice chest could become a status symbol??

It's basically "white trash bling". I only see it in small towns where things are so repressed they're still living years behind the times. They all advertise fads that are years out of style haha. I remember in the early 80s "OP" was the in-decal,and the in the late 80s "Ultra Hot" was the in-decal to have.

This is just a premium product with more exciting advertising than the other premium products.

When you want an extra durable suitcase, you can buy a Pelican, or you can buy a clone that costs half as much.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Many of the arguments here can be posed towards luxury brand vehicles. People just want something that is higher quality, whether actual or perceived due to marketing, and they are willing to pay for it.

My cooler is older than I am, but it does what I need. Normally the beer is gone before the ice melts so when we buy more beer we buy more ice.

Salt in the cooler ice/water mix goes a LONG way towards making your beer cold cold COLD.

Why does salt make water colder ?

The same reason they put salt down on roads to melt the ice. Salt lowers the melting/freezing temperature of water.

I've heard that the Walmart version of the Yeti flask/tumbler is very good. I have two hydroflasks so I'm all set for the golf course.

My wife bought one for us when we are fixing. It does work better than a Colman. Is it worth the price? Not sure about that. We have been on the water all day and the drinks are ice cold. My Colman had no ice left in it.

I haven't seen anybody mention the reference to the Yeti 110 cooler in the Country Song "Buy me a boat". That was the first time I heard of a Yeti cooler.

Here's the link to the video. He's even standing on the Yeti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPjKSVe1tQ

Buy Me a Boat
Chris Janson
I ain’t rich, but I [censored] sure wanna be
Working like a dog all day, ain’t working for me
I wish I had a rich uncle that’d kick the bucket
And that I was sitting on a pile like Warren Buffett
I know everybody says
Money can’t buy happiness
But it could buy me a boat, it could buy me a truck to pull it
It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
Yeah, and I know what they say,
Money can’t buy everything
Well, maybe so,
But it could buy me a boat
They call me redneck, white trash and blue collar
But I could change all that if I had a couple million dollars
I keep hearing that money is the root of all evil
And you can’t fit a camel through the eye of a needle
I’m sure that’s probably true,
But it still sounds pretty cool
‘Cause it…

Originally Posted By: spackard
Yeti's getting ready for an IPO in October.
There's been a few WSJ articles on them - one mentioned the
coolers are hot theft items off of docked boats.

They better hurry before their market shrinks to only those who have to have the coolest brand.

Many others are introducing competitive products at a fraction of the cost. There are several competitive stainless tumblers, for much less money. Even Walmart's Ozark Trail brand is offering a product that is identical except for the trendy trademark. It performs every bit as good as the Yeti. But it is priced at $38. There is a multitude of roto-molded ice coolers now on the market, many of which perform at least as well, if not better, than the Yeti line. Some are super pricey like the Yeti. But some are not. Cabela's offers coolers that outperform the Yeti line, and are priced much cheaper. About $80 less. The Walmart Ozark brand is now offering a few roto-molded coolers for about 1/2 the price of the Yeti.

Dollar for performance, there are a lot better options out there. But I'm sure there are those that will still think buying a Yeti makes them cooler (yes, pun intended) than the other guy.

My 20 year old Coleman does a pretty good job at keeping things cool. A Yeti might have a little better insulation, but ice is cheap. I can even stand on my Coleman... should I ever find a need to stand on a cooler.

Two engineers were debating at lunch over Yeti vs another brand. Finally one of them asked me what I used - said for the money you spent I bought a Kenmore chest freezer and keep it full of ice and frozen water bottles. Even put the ice back after fishing...
I do have a smaller Canyon cooler - about the same long ice keeping performance - but got for 50% less, and the soft side Yeti as safety award. Don't even like it - barely get arm through zipper. Wife got me the tumbler but agree Turvis are my favorite tumbler ... And good coffee cups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back