Horizontally and vertically mounted oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am confused. Everything that I am reading seems opposite of what I'd think.

I'd be inclined to think that a horizontally mounted oil filter would be like this with respect to the ground: ___

As for a vertically mounted oil filter I thought it would be a filter mounted like this with respect to the ground: |
|

Somehow I have this backward it seems? I mean a horizon is like this with respect to the ground: _____

Not sure if these definitions are even further twisted on a Subaru because of the way the cylinders sit.

Thanks for any help.

A vertically mounted filter could be pre-filled without it dripping out. Same as a drink glass.

So it comes down to the filter position not the surface it is being mounted on. I think that was my mental block.... *I think*

You want twisted? Try the oil filter in a flying brick horizontal inline 4 cylinder BMW cycle. A canister inside the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
A vertically mounted filter could be pre-filled without it dripping out. Same as a drink glass.

Ah! Not so quick, my friend. You are assuming that a vertically mounted filter has the mounting plate up. Not always true, grasshopper. (What was the name of that cornie show from the '70's with David Carradine?) Subaru has a vertical filter on many of their current 4 pot engines, but the mounting plate goes down.

dx92beater,
So yes, imagine the plane going through the center of the filter, end to end. The direction of that plane defines how most think of the filter being mounted.

Horizontal or vertical means with respect to the ground with reference to the filter's length dimension (not diameter) mounting orientation.

And a million other mechanisms and designs - but this inverted Subaru filter is interesting ...
Is it fully dependent on the ADV ?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Horizontal or vertical means with respect to the ground with reference to the filter's length dimension (not diameter) mounting orientation.

This.

For me, I was having difficultly visualizing anything other than the filter lengthwise dimension as reference until you mentioned the diameter. Never considered or would have considered diameter as point of reference for orientation.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
You want twisted? Try the oil filter in a flying brick horizontal inline 4 cylinder BMW cycle. A canister inside the oil pan.
The older airheads use a tube shaped filter which is installed in the block. There's a inexpensive white gasket included which, if not installed properly can reduce oil pressure to zero. Thus it's called the "$3000.00 gasket. The cost of a rebuild.

Last edited:
outback14-engine1.jpg

I prefer the stellar engineering of the Subaru filter vertical mounted thread end up application, encircled by the exhaust manifold. It seems that application mounting area is sometimes referred to as the "ring of fire."

ax0p9DT.jpg

My friend's 2011 Audi A4 2.0L turbo has a vertically oriented oil filter mounted base down (dome up) near the front of the engine compartment. It incorporates both an ADBV and an anti-siphon valve.

We never have tried pre-filling this filter for a FCI
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
I prefer the stellar engineering of the Subaru filter vertical mounted thread end up application, encircled by the exhaust manifold. It seems that application mounting area is sometimes referred to as the "ring of fire."

The "easy bake oven" for the oil filter. Hopefully the heat shields on the exhaust pipes keep the radiation transfer down.

You guys are awesome, thanks! I need to stop torturing myself with the ring of fire though!

Originally Posted By: Sayjac

ax0p9DT.jpg

NICE!

... just to make things more fun the whole thing stays hot as the hinges of hades, and for that extra special experience - has a nice sharp edge on which to cut yourself.

Brilliant.

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back