Tall extension ladders for gutter cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
We own a two story home with a walk up attic. We have to go up some stairs to enter the home, and based upon measurements, the gutters are about 24' from the ground.

We have around 175 feet of total gutter, most of it is second story, but some is first story level.

A 32' extension ladder, fiberglass, rated for 300lbs is around $350 at HD.

Gutter cleaning is around $125 each time.

A broken limb is $$$$, brain or spine injury is $$$$$$$$$.

My wife is always supportive of DIY we want to do. In fact, she helps me. Cars, home work, etc. she'll come out in the cold, put up with me doing stuff late at night, etc. She is NOT keen on me buying a 32' ladder to clean gutters.

Happy wife, happy life, right?

3 cleanings pays for the ladder... We have a LOT of tall, old maples, so the gutters get filed with the whirlybird seeds in the spring and leaves in the fall...

So it won't take much to recoup the cost of a tall ladder.

Some areas I'd need to set the ladder on soil. Others could be on hard surface (driveway/patio). Just how risky is climbing a ladder to clean gutters?

A crummy ladder will ruin the "fun". I have access to my FIL's 25-ish foot extension ladder and, in the middle, it your author gets "the shakes" by which point I hug it until it calms down.

A ladder this size is also ungainly as you set it up and down.

that's a long ways up. pay to get it done, and while the guy is up there, have him install stainless gutter guards, to avoid further cleaning. well worth the money.
if you diy, BE CAREFUL.

A 24 ft. fall isn't $$$$$, it is XXXXXX
15.gif
and you are dead. I have had friends and relatives who died from falls. Pay someone else to do it or get rid of the gutters.

JHZR2Some areas I'd need to set the ladder on soil. Others could be on hard surface (driveway/patio). Just how risky is climbing a ladder to clean gutters? [/quote said:
You could probably use some thick plywood as your base on soil if needed.

Check you local craigslist. You might be able to get the same ladder for $100 cheaper. I bought a 32 ft aluminum extension ladder for $100 on Kijiji.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Just how risky is climbing a ladder to clean gutters?

IMO, it depends how comfortable you are with heights and the precautions taken (ladder footing, pitch, etc.). I used to hate heights (still don't really care for them) but once we owned a home I had to get comfortable - clean the gutters, check something on the roof, etc.

Get a quality ladder, think and use caution when using and get comfortable with the height aspect if heights make you nervous. If you can't get comfortable that's a different story.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We own a two story home with a walk up attic. We have to go up some stairs to enter the home, and based upon measurements, the gutters are about 24' from the ground.

We have around 175 feet of total gutter, most of it is second story, but some is first story level.

A 32' extension ladder, fiberglass, rated for 300lbs is around $350 at HD.

Gutter cleaning is around $125 each time.

A broken limb is $$$$, brain or spine injury is $$$$$$$$$.

I realized a few years a go that i make way more per hour than i'd pay to have someone clean them per hour. That type of injury could be permanent and its not worth it. I stay off my 2 story.
Just make sure the people you hire are insured or you might get hit with the suit.

Last edited:
have a cousin-in-law(Cousin's Hubby) laid up right now from doing this. Broke his right leg,46 years old, in shape, metal worker at the Airstream factory, now off work at least 6 weeks. Single income family, but luckily the kids are grown.

can you afford to miss 6 weeks (or more) of work?

Figure a way to secure the ladder well to help the shake. Get the legs on a hard surface or feet for the legs. If you ever watch a good fire dept scale and secure ladders you will see what I am talking about.

I was in the same boat, my cleaning qoutes were $400 PLUS, new house to me,
so i bought a ladder as you describe at HD. I'm 52 yrs old,
pretty good shape, etc. Highest I've ever been on a ladder and I'm not
comfy if you know what I mean, not sure how many more times more i will do it..

I think it would be worth it to just have it done.

I'm not afraid of heights, but I don't like ladders. And I'm talking about even climbing onto my single story roof.

Personally I would get the ladder. If you are afraid of it staying stable, you can get stabilizer bars that keep the ladder from swaying side to side.

One reason I am glad to have a one story...

Even then, I am o so careful cleaning my gutters....not a fan of heights myself!

A 32' fiberglass extension ladder is going to be very difficult for one person to handle. It's still 16' long when not extended, fiberglass ladders are heavy and difficult to stand up due to the weight being extended so far out. I can handle a 24' easily, 28' gets a bit uncomfortable but I can do it. Are you sure you need something so long? 24' will get on top of most two stories.

That said, some things are worth paying someone to do, this is one. Landscaping and painting are two others!

There are safety "wings" you can attach to the top of the ladders to stabilize the free end.

But for me, I either hire someone or use a telescoping wand with pressure washer. The wand is a bit of a workout because it's long and unwiedly, and because of the water pressure, it wants to move all over the place. You also need to wear a raincoat because you're essentially sitting under a tropical storm for 45 minutes, so if it's a hot day you can work up a sweat

Another thing with the wand -- you have to be strong enough to control it otherwise you can break a window

Last edited:
In my late 50's I had a fall off a ladder when cleaning gutters. Was lucky in that I only had several cracked ribs. It only takes once. Pay someone.

Consider getting it done and installing some kind of cover. I found some covers that were a super fine screen that would not clog even with pine needles. My current house has no gutters except 6' over front steps. Some covers like Gutter Helmet cost more than gutters.

Around here they get filled with ice and rip off in the winter.

Last edited:
If it were me and I didn't want to invest in gutters like the leaf guard gutter system, then I'd simply use a tool like the Gutter Sense tool, and put it on a 20' extension pole such as a Mr. LongArm. Not only is the cost much less than an extension ladder, but you can clean everything from the ground so there's no risk of falls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back