Buying oil tomorrow,please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me Honda Civic lx 5 speed coupe. Bought from original owner,has 165,000 miles. Never has seen sythetic of any kind,mostly green bottle quaker state or pennz.yello bottle he thinks??? Car is driven in Michigan winters. Driven daily to work about 20 miles round trip. Not much freeway,but some. Doesnt leak or consume oil. What would be a good choice of oil for me given the circumstances? Thank you all so much. Open to hear all opinions. High mileage?synthetic? So far only has seen dino.

Try Valvoline max-life 5w30. Its a semi syn and great additive package.

Given the locale, you're likely to rust out before wear out.
I'd use the cheapest stuff meeting the Honda owners manual and their recommended intervals.

If you want to feel even more secure, stock up on Mobil 1 using the frequent Meijer sales and coupons and Mobil rebates.

Just use a good quality dino oil. There are so many it ridiculous how good most of them are. Just stick with a major brand and a quality oil filter and your good to go

This.
Give it M1 0W-30 and take advantage of the twelve buck a jug MIR on two up to two jugs.
Cheaper than any conventional and a better oil to boot.
There you go.

Originally Posted By: Jimzz
Try Valvoline max-life 5w30. Its a semi syn and great additive package.

This ^^^^

I would use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle. I am not sure what weight those spec, but if 5w20 is allowed then that would be good going into the winter months.

Synthetics are too cheap right now not to use them. Buy M1, PP, or QSUD at Walmart low prices and get $12/$10/$7 per jug rebates. You can't go wrong. And these will perform better in the cold winter starts than a similar grade conventional. If the first 165K miles sludged up the engine any, then a constant OCI regimen of these oils will help clean up things....if there is anything to clean up. There's no debate considering PP is cheaper than PYB after rebate (same comment for Mobil 5K vs. M1 or QSAD vs USUD).

Originally Posted By: gallydif
Looks like I'll be the first to say it. Chevron Supreme! Excellent additive pack. Actually much better than most of the 'better known' oils. It's also currently on rollback at walmart and has a $5 rebate going on.

Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=chevron supreme&typeahead=chevron supreme&cat_id=0

Rebate:
https://www.chevronpromotions.com/Promotion

Havoline is also on 'Rollback' and is supposed to be their 'premium' oil.
Do most BITOGers feel Chevron or Havoline is the better oil?

To the OP: I'd probably stick with PYB 5w20

Honda recommends 5w20 or 0w20 for this 2001 Civic:

honda-engine-oil-application-guide.jpg

I would try M1 0w20 in winter or M1 5w20 HM if you're worried about possible future leaks.

Buy the best priced, name brand oil of the proper weight which is recommended by Honda for your vehicle. All these recommendations are just opinions of others with no scientific proof of being superior and likely would make no difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back