Pennzoil Platinum darkens quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I recently made the switch to full synthetic for my van. From what I know it has always used conventional. I'm barely over 300 miles in on the PP and its darkening already. On previous oils (PYB) it would be around 1000 miles before the oil darkens. Is this the magical cleaning power everyone is talking about?

Not knowing the composition, it could just be the additives darkening.

Are you suggesting Platinum needs to clean up what PYB left behind?

Color is meaningless
smile.gif

You could call me old school as I always used color to determine when I would change my oil.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Pennz just doing it's job.
56.gif

+1. On my wife's civic Mobil 1 would be the same after 1000km. Inside her engine is spotless for a 19 year old car. Plenty of short trips with her car too.

Originally Posted By: Run
You could call me old school as I always used color to determine when I would change my oil.

So you would change it now @ 300 miles?

Good plan OP. I would let it go to 400 miles then keep that as your OCI.

Sarcasm....

Whoever taught you color means something.......is wrong. Run it for 5-7K then do a UOA.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

So you would change it now @ 300 miles?

No. Its not black or super dark. I just noticed its starting to change color much sooner now.

That oil is some really good stuff. I have used it many times on several different vehicles.
The color means nothing.

Use it for 7500-10000 miles and rest easy. Just keep it checked and topped off

I recently made the switch to full synthetic for my van. From what I know it has always used conventional. I'm barely over 300 miles in on the PP and its darkening already. On previous oils (PYB) it would be around 1000 miles before the oil darkens. Is this the magical cleaning power everyone is talking about?

Yep. After 20-30k it will go longer maybe 2-3000 miles before it gets dark.

It could be the additives darkening or it may be doing more cleaning than your previous oil, either way it's fine. I noticed that Pennzoil Platinum darkens more quickly than Mobil 1 in my Accord, although neither ever become very dark. I have over 4000 miles on my current fill of Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus 0w20 in the Accord and its still a light gold color on the dipstick.

I actually am the complete opposite. I just got done with a 4k/6 month OCI with Pennzoil Platinum in my Camaro and it was still fairly golden. Mobil 1 will usually be black by 1500 miles. Color never really means much to me. Unless it's milky or something. Then that could be coolant.

I think its possibly that it's the first time that you're using full synthetic in your van and its cleaning up leftover deposits and varnish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back