My sequoia brakes are giving me fits!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats a good tip to know for diagnosis. I have normal brake pedal operation, doesn't feel to hard to spongy.

No rust on front wheels. The latest is I just drove 50 miles and after sitting in the sequoia and making some calls, the two back rims were almost too hot to touch. Now I'm concerned if this is safe to drive. It's obviously a system issue and not a specific wheel.

Jack the rear up with the parking brake off.
Are the wheels hard to turn?
If yes, crack the bleeders and close them again.
Turn any easier?

Originally Posted By: jrvn
I have owned 4 Toyota trucks in my lifetime and never had to nor heard of failing brake lines unless they were damaged somehow by outside forces, these are not normally parts that simply wear out like spark plugs, brake pads etc.

Rubber brake lines deteriorate from the inside out and act like a check valve. Brake applies fine, but wont let go.

Ok, so I lifted the rear end at the pumpkin. I put the vehicle in neutral and both rear tires were very hard to turn. I could force it with both hands. I could force them to turn but it did sound like a very faint metal on metal sound on the rear right tire. I cracked open the bleeder valve and the back left tire freed up, the back right is still very hard to turn. Thank you.

The important thing with the master cylinder is that the piston in the cylinder must come all the way back when no one is pressing the brake pedal. If something holds the piston in slightly, pressure will build up and cause the brakes to drag. This can be related to replacing the master cylinder, booster, or even the brake light switch and not adjusting the linkages so that the cylinder comes all the way back.

You probably have an ABS box in the lines from the master cylinder to the wheels. Proportioning valves are usually found on older non-ABS cars. In newer models, the proportioning function is built into the mondo ABS box.

Originally Posted By: Tlhfirelion
How can I check those?
I'm not sure how they can be tested.

I had a Chevy truck that the front wheels were getting really hot, then a week later I went to park it in the driveway and it wouldn't move. Front wheels stuck. My dad came out wondering what the heck was going on, I had to lay 2 black stripes in the driveway to back it in. I jacked it up and both front wheels could hardly be turned by hand. Replaced master cylinder, good as gold afterwards.

I replaced the caliper and the issue has been resolved, at least for a week now. I am going to do a brake flush of the whole system today. I hope I don't have to update this thread anymore, lol, but a big thank you to everyone who helped me figure this issue out and DIY it. Thats why I like this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back