BOOM- Yeti this, Yeti that, Yeti Yeit ©

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two years ago, you *never* heard of Yeti... then all a sudden authorized dealers sprang up all around selling these overpriced coolers.

Yeti was unheard of, now two ATV dealers, a couple of hardware stores have the Yeti banners out in full force.

Anyone actually buy these things?

I'm not sure I can justify half a weeks pay for a cooler.
eek.gif

Last edited:
They keep ice in ice form for a long time.

By buddy has the big chest one in his truck. Only about 1/3 of the ice was melted after 2 days.

LOL

Keeping your cooler out of the sun, off hot concrete, protected by a radiant barrier will go along way to keeping its contents cold for long periods of time. People will employ shiny mylar sunshades to keep their car interiors cooler, yet not use same on their ice chest! Bringing it indoors the night before to allow it to cool off first will greatly help.

Dry ice makes sense to keep your wet ice from melting as fast too. Think about it.

I see their stainless double wall tumblers are popular with some. However metal is an excellent conductor of heat and will get quite hot left sitting in the sun. Especially here 30° above the equator. Thus your drink + ice won't last long.

I prefer the double-walled tumblers made of Lexan by Tervis for drinks. They never get too hot to burn your hands + they're much lighter in weight.

I was given a 65qt for my birthday years ago. Before they were everywhere. It's an older style without all the imprinted logos.
It's so heavy. It's also durable.
Mine has hundreds of hours in hot direct sun, used as a seat,stool,cutting board...
Keeps ice forever. I love it. I would not spend my $ on one though.

My dad has a different brand one, but a competitor to Yeti. I actually like it more than the Yeti I saw at the store.

Keeps drinks cold for about 2 days

They're good for multi-uses... Outside in the hot sun all day, tough, etc. But we've had good luck with our white igloo coolers too... All day fishing trips come home with a thick layer of ice in the bottom - thats all one can really ask for! For the money, no thanks.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My dad has a different brand one, but a competitor to Yeti. I actually like it more than the Yeti I saw at the store.

Yeah, you are talking about Orion coolers.... Now you are getting in the $$$ range!

Quote:
Orion coolers have a number of features and innovations unique to the rugged cooler market. There are a lot of premium coolers. They all look alike. Orion doesn’t. Orion is proud to introduce multi-color, camo plastic blends to the cooler market, making every single Orion cooler unique. Each cooler has YakAttack gear tracks on each side for easy customization via RAM accessory integration, a key innovation that allows you to add holders for fishing rods, phones, cups, fish finders, GPS and more. Holding your cooler in place are our 6 tie down points (4 of which are bottle openers)

Quote:
Orion coolers have a number of features and innovations unique to the rugged cooler market. There are a lot of premium coolers. They all look alike. Orion doesn’t. Orion is proud to introduce multi-color, camo plastic blends to the cooler market, making every single Orion cooler unique. Each cooler has YakAttack gear tracks on each side for easy customization via RAM accessory integration, a key innovation that allows you to add holders for fishing rods, phones, cups, fish finders, GPS and more. Holding your cooler in place are our 6 tie down points (4 of which are bottle openers)

None of which has anything to do with actual cooling. LOL!

I've never bought a name brand cooler that didn't keep drinks and ice cold for 2 days in direct sunlight. All of my run-of-the-mill Coleman and Igloo coolers do that.

I don't understand the obsession or the value. I've never encountered a situation where I would need more insulation than a regular cooler provides.

Friend of mine recently boated about what he had spent on a very large Yeti for his boat. When I informed him that I had spent less on a fefrigerator and icemaker for mine, he seemed lost.

My daughter bought me the large tumbler for my birthday last week. I love it, although I would never have bought it for myself. To darn expensive for a retired guy.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Yeah, you are talking about Orion coolers.... Now you are getting in the $$$ range!

Quote:
I'm not sure what brand, but he works in a body shop and the Snap On tool truck guy had a drawing going and all the shop employees of all the shops around town entered and my dad won it. He won't complain about free lol.

Many of the arguments here can be posed towards luxury brand vehicles. People just want something that is higher quality, whether actual or perceived due to marketing, and they are willing to pay for it.

My cooler is older than I am, but it does what I need. Normally the beer is gone before the ice melts so when we buy more beer we buy more ice.

Salt in the cooler ice/water mix goes a LONG way towards making your beer cold cold COLD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Many of the arguments here can be posed towards luxury brand vehicles. People just want something that is higher quality, whether actual or perceived due to marketing, and they are willing to pay for it.

My cooler is older than I am, but it does what I need. Normally the beer is gone before the ice melts so when we buy more beer we buy more ice.

Salt in the cooler ice/water mix goes a LONG way towards making your beer cold cold COLD.

Why does salt make water colder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back