Oil filter FL820s or Napa Gold or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important filter on an engine is the air filter.

We have a winner. Best post in the thread.

A little rip in oil filter media doesn't matter, the oil is still getting filtered, just takes a ding on efficiency. And your oil filter shouldn't be doing much if the engine is broken in and the air path is sealed and filtered well.

Air filters actually become more efficient as they partially fill. Over changing air filters with brand new ones can actually decrease engine life to a small degree. Its been quantified.

In context these posts would be more relevant, and make more sense, if air filters became more efficient with tears in them.

I don't think they do.

just use whatever you like and change it when the OLM says to. given enough time here, you'll realize that it's all in your head and you're going to be hard pressed to find an engine with excessive wear due exclusively to the type of oil filter. personally, i use whatever i feel like. frams, puros, wix, chinese made, louvers, holes, nitrile, whatever. i don't really care about tears as i still continue to buy puros when they're in a oil change special. a ford 5.8 in my "fleet" has 194k with whatever oil and filter were closest to $20 at the time of the change, usually every 4-5k miles.

i'm just a pervert who likes to see under valve covers and oil filters cut open and am disappointed when they aren't sludged beyond belief.

Car Quest Red is probably closest equivalent for the price.

Car Quest filters are made by Purolator now, and may have the same issues as the Puorlator made Motorcraft.
I am probably going to start using the Wix made Supertech filters on my truck from now on.

A little rip in oil filter media doesn't matter, the oil is still getting filtered, just takes a ding on efficiency. And your oil filter shouldn't be doing much if the engine is broken in and the air path is sealed and filtered well.

Bull. Oil will take the path of least resistance, and a rip will be where most of the oil will go through.

Here is some filter media (an e-core filter) from a '04 F150. The media was intact. See what an intact filter can capture.
full-4879-1430-4.jpg

(original thread it came from)

Or would you rather have this Motorcraft FL820S filter in place on that same engine:
k9tnpz.jpg

EXACTLY! No more MC "filters" for me until I see MC/Purolator answer people HONESTLY on the problems with these filters and #2. QUALITY, and COMSTRUCTION improve drastically.

Thank you for all the answers. Think I will stick with NAPA Gold since I really have had no problems for the past 45000 miles I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back