Mobil 1 0W-40 MSDS composition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

New here. Just came across to these 2 MSDSs from different regions for Mobil 1 0W-40. They are not the same.

MSDS from Malaysia:

MSDS from UK:

Any comments?

Good find. Looks like the composition of the oil is partially based on what is allowed in country (or what's NOT allowed should I say)? Waiting on the more savvy members to chime in as I find this interesting.

The MSDS is not a recipe. Not everything will be on the MSDS. And companies are allowed to fudge the % to protect trade secrets. They're to make safety decisions, not engineering decisions.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
The MSDS is not a recipe. Not everything will be on the MSDS. And companies are allowed to fudge the % to protect trade secrets. They're to make safety decisions, not engineering decisions.

This. While we may be able to glean SOME information about the composition of the oil from an MSDS, it is far from a recipe and all quantities are presented in vague ranges to protect trade secrets. So just because an ingredient shows on an MSDS from one country and not from another, does not mean that this ingredient is not present in both. Different countries have different requirements.

What we can learn from these two sheets is that:

#1 shows PAO at 30-40%
#2 shows GIII at 30-40%

However, with no revision date, we really have no idea if the sheets are for the same product or not. M1 0w-40, even the FS version, has a product code of 201510101010xx and this is present on all the MSDS sheets, lest this be confused with it being a date code. I have old MSDS's from 2014 and earlier with the same product code.

Another tell here is that the viscosity shown is different for the two products and the viscosity on the Malaysian MSDS does not match the PDS info:

Malaysian Mobil 1 0w-40

Which shows a viscosity of 13.5cSt, whilst your MSDS shows 14.2cSt. Going back to one of the older MSDS sheets I saved back in 2014, I see 14.3cSt listed. The sheet for the UK from the beginning of 2015 shows 14.15cSt, this aligns with the majority PAO MSDS from early 2015 from Germany, which also shows 14.15cSt. The US MSDS from the same time frame listed GIII at 30-40% but did not show PAO. Likely because it was not required. It showed the same 14.15cSt viscosity. The odds are that these ones in the 14's are all the same product, meaning the MSDS from Malaysia is older than the UK one.

This is supported by visiting the corresponding sites and comparing current PDS information. Here is the sheet for the UK:

Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 UK specifications

You'll note that the viscosity is 13.5cSt, VI is the same, MRV is the same. It is the same product as listed on the Malaysian Mobil 1 site. Ergo, the product is the same, the Malaysian MSDS is simply out of date.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
UK web site is VISOM based 0W40 that was available in the U.S. until last November.

Yes, it is the "ROW" version (rest of world) which is known as Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 in many markets. The new "FS" product, which first appeared in the US market, is not a worldwide product at this point as far as I know.

Originally Posted By: soulblade
The Malaysian MSDS date is 3rd Aug 2016 and the UK one is 8th Jan 2016.

Where are you seeing that date in the MSDS?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: edyvw
UK web site is VISOM based 0W40 that was available in the U.S. until last November.

Yes, it is the "ROW" version (rest of world) which is known as Mobil 1 New Life 0w-40 in many markets. The new "FS" product, which first appeared in the US market, is not a worldwide product at this point as far as I know.

Nope, at least until it is capable to meet LL-01.

These companies may be tinkering with or altering formulations more often than we think.

On the left header of the MSDS..

welcome2.gif
, my country man .

On the left header of the MSDS..

Thanks for that. Actually had to change my view in Microsoft Word to get that to show up, bizarre!
crazy2.gif

Anyways, compare the MSDS visc data on the Malaysian sheet to the PDS data. They don't jive. The MSDS version is similar to the much older PDS information, whilst their PDS is current with the ROW version of the product. Subsequently, despite the date on the MSDS, I still wouldn't put much faith in it representing the current product in the Malaysian market, which has been noted by Mobil to be a global formula.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back