Tempted to go 2 OLM's on 1 oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil1 in the crankcase with 5,500 miles on current oil, mostly short tripping. 2006 Toyota Avalon with 105,000 miles. No oil usage ever. I've always changed the oil and filter when the OLM trips, but am tempted to just reset the OLM and change the oil when it trips the second time. Any thoughts?

The olm goes off every 5000 miles so it's not a smart MM system. With the short tripping I'd probably take it out to 7k miles. How long has the oil been in service?

If you don't trust OLM - don't use it and run 7500 on plain M1 (lots of short trips) ...

In that car I would as long as the engine is "clean". If you use a full synthetic and a good filter, you should be fine since the 2GR V6 has ~6.5 QT. sump. That car has a dumb olm.

Ever done a UOA? Check my sig...

But agree based on other UOAs on there that 7500 should be easy.

Last edited:
That Toyota doesn't have a real OLM like GM and Honda use.

And Toyota's recommended OCI is 5k on dino, 10k on synthetic
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It's your motor, do what you want ...

+1 If the thought of going 2 OLM's on an oil change ever entered my mind I'd get a UOA.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It's your motor, do what you want ...

That's what I was thinking. It's not like the OP would listen to me anyway.
grin2.gif

Its not a real olm. Our toyotas just flash the maint light to let you know 5000 miles has passed. Do a UOA and they'll tell you if you can take the M1 to 7.5 or 10k safely. Good luck.

Extending an OCI without a UOA is not a good idea. I would get a UOA done at 5000, 7500 and 10,000 miles to make sure the oil is still good. If you get a sample pump (Blackstone Lab do sell them) there is no need to change the oil at the intermediate steps.
Once you have the figures then check to see what the Iron figure per mile is to see if the engine likes the longer OCI or not.
Don't think that you can extend an OCI just because full synthetics are more resistant to high temp shearing, as it is more likely that contamination will limit the OCI.

Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Extending an OCI without a UOA is not a good idea. I would get a UOA done at 5000, 7500 and 10,000 miles to make sure the oil is still good. If you get a sample pump (Blackstone Lab do sell them) there is no need to change the oil at the intermediate steps.
Once you have the figures then check to see what the Iron figure per mile is to see if the engine likes the longer OCI or not.
Don't think that you can extend an OCI just because full synthetics are more resistant to high temp shearing, as it is more likely that contamination will limit the OCI.

Good points. Many people buy into blanket statements like synthetic oils can go 10K miles easily. Maybe, maybe not, the only way to know for sure is with a UOA. Those kind of statements can get you in trouble, especially if you live in an area like NYC or Long Island for example. During a rush hour commute a 20 minute ride can take anywhere from 45 minutes, if you're lucky, to 90 minutes or more. That's a lot of engine run time to cover such a short distance.

Certainly 10K on Mobil1 isn't something to get all panicky about; this isn't 1985.

I would run it out to 10K and THEN get a UOA; it might turn into your new regimen.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Certainly 10K on Mobil1 isn't something to get all panicky about; this isn't 1985.

I would run it out to 10K and THEN get a UOA; it might turn into your new regimen.

+1 on trying a 10k run for the first UOA. What filter are you using?

Why even think about it?
Unless you want to do some UOAs, why not just listen to what Toyota recommended for the engine they designed and built?
There's nothing magical about M1, although it is a good oil.
I could do an oil change on your car using whatever flavor of M1 you'd like plus an M1 or Fran Ultra oil filter for around fifteen bucks.
For the dollars involved, why even worry about extending the drains beyond what Toyota recommends?
If you did heroic highway mileage on a super commute, then a longer drain would be something to pursue. For a car like yours in short trip use, why even think about it?

Don't waste money on UOAs, just use Mobil 1 EP. 10,000 should be no problem, just make sure to monitor your oil levels on a frequent basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back