2016 5.3 ecotec oil suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doublehaul
Actually those motors come pretty close to that on e85...no joke

SAE Certified Numbers -
Gas: 355 hp/383 lb-ft.
E85: 376 hp/416 lb-ft.

No problem with running 0W-20, if it makes you feel a bit more comfortable you could run Mobil 1 0W-30 AFE, being a big lazy V8 it should not be too hard on oil, use your free oil changes and after that change the oil whenever the OLM reaches 10%

For an old-school NA pushrod engine, these are impressive numbers, especially the e85 tune.
Pretty much puts the Ecoboost and the Hemi on the trailer.
Good for Chevy!

Pushrods are one of the few old school features of Gen V small blocks ... Some pretty good writings out there on the continuous improvements of these ...

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
I also chose Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE, because I feel that the additive package is least likely to increase LSPI (low speed pre inginition) events.

I could be wrong, but I think that LSPI is a concern in direct injection turbo engines, but not those that are N/A...carbon buildup on the valves is a concern for both, though.
Somebody please correct me if I'm off on this one...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Pushrods are one of the few old school features of Gen V small blocks ... Some pretty good writings out there on the continuous improvements of these ...

I'm aware. DOHCs aren't really new tech either, nor are a bunch of valves for each pot.
The pushrod design makes for a smaller and more easily packaged engine as well, which may not matter for a pickup but does in other applications.
Still, what other major maker in the world is designing new pushrod engines for passenger cars and light trucks?

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
For an old-school NA pushrod engine, these are impressive numbers, especially the e85 tune.
Good for Chevy!

I've heard that people are getting loads of power out of E85 tunes for the new WRXs with a similar 2.0l turbo to mine...although you have to be more careful with the FXTs because the CVT cannot handle much more than stock power, can't get a more robust manual like is available in the WRX.
I'm not really sure what would happen if I tried it, but it would be fun if we actually had E85 pumps here and I could play with adding some to a partial tank of 93....guess it might be ugly without a proper tune for it.

Always thought it strange that the 4.3 V6 EcoTec in my '14 Silverado specs 5w30, yet the 5.3 specs 0w20. Specific outputs are very similar. In any case, I have been using DEXOS approved PP. I go by the OLM, which works out to ~7500mi OCI's. ~39k miles on it now without any issues whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Good for Chevy!

The peak numbers don't really tell the story on the ecoboost. The flat torque curve from the twin turbo V6 really shines when towing. When boost launched the ecoboost can beat GM's 6.2 in a drag race. Official magazine times usually show the 6.2 coming in at 0.1 seconds faster. So stock performance wise the 5.3 is not going to embarrass the ecoboost.

The great news is ALL of these engines are way more powerful than 1/2 ton trucks from 10-15 years ago and those still managed to get the job done.

And who is drag racing in a pickup truck?

I like an N/A engine, a nice progressive ramp up of power with revs is fine here. Tell me again how a 395 HP Hemi is poor output? And with one of the best cylinder deactivation strategies based on reliability? As I recall Honda has had some difficulty with the same tech at far lower power levels.

Then there is sound. Many folks like gasping and wheezing noises, but I prefer regular relaxed V8 sounds.

To eachhis own...

... And whilst I enjoy by eBoost Ford - I have limited confidence it would run trouble free as long as my 5.3 GM will ...

... And whilst I enjoy by eBoost Ford - I have limited confidence it would run trouble free as long as my 5.3 GM will ...

My good friend has a new 2.7 egobooster Ford. It has amazing power, it launches like a hot car would. There is no doubting the output.

But in normal driving it is gasping and wheezing as it bleeds off excessive boost. Plus it makes the standard V6 drone. Not my cup of tea.

We have owned many 5.3's from GM in Silverados. They are an amazing engine with good power density and extremely long life IME.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

My good friend has a new 2.7 egobooster Ford. It has amazing power, it launches like a hot car would. There is no doubting the output.

But in normal driving it is gasping and wheezing as it bleeds off excessive boost. Plus it makes the standard V6 drone. Not my cup of tea.

We have owned many 5.3's from GM in Silverados. They are an amazing engine with good power density and extremely long life IME.

I am/was a Ford guy, I'd rather own the hemi Ram.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
Always thought it strange that the 4.3 V6 EcoTec in my '14 Silverado specs 5w30, yet the 5.3 specs 0w20. Specific outputs are very similar. In any case, I have been using DEXOS approved PP. I go by the OLM, which works out to ~7500mi OCI's. ~39k miles on it now without any issues whatsoever.

It's probably the fact that the 4.3 V6 is a smaller displacement engine pushing a full-size pickup truck. The engine works harder all the time and beats up the oil more. Also, the V6 has a smaller sump volume than the V8's.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I am/was a Ford guy, I'd rather own the hemi Ram.

In our experience the RAM Hemi is an unbeatable combo of fun to drive power and excellent fuel economy. Amazing for a 5200 pound truck to get 19 mpg in the real world, not on the highway. Also runs without any complaint on the cheapest swill out there...

Agreed.
The combination of power and fuel efficiency in current pickups was unimagined twenty years ago.
They're all good although long-term durability and reliability of these vehicles remains to be seen.
I'd bet that it'll end up being pretty good, since these are very high volume and high profit vehicle for Ford, GM and Fiat's Chrysler.
Pickups are also big fleet sellers and most fleets have enough data input as well as software capability to figure out what to buy and what to avoid and trucks are typically used up and run into the ground in fleet service. It therefore behooves all three to build good durability and reliability into their pickups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back