Polished the Accord today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: davison0976
OP, it's clear that you want the best for your vehicle and I salute you on that, but it doesn't seem like you know what polish is actually for. A polish is designed to remove micro scratches and is working by removing a little of the clear coat. On a white vehicle those micro scratches are not visible in the first place. Why would you want your clear coat to be thiner?

Scratches are definitely visible on white cars. They aren't as noticeable as a dark car but in the sun you can see them. And I would know as I also have a taffeta white honda.

Originally Posted By: davison0976
OP, it's clear that you want the best for your vehicle and I salute you on that, but it doesn't seem like you know what polish is actually for. A polish is designed to remove micro scratches and is working by removing a little of the clear coat. On a white vehicle those micro scratches are not visible in the first place. Why would you want your clear coat to be thiner?

I know exactly what polish does. I am using it to get rid of the oxidation that happens over time with single stage paint that is exposed to the elements. The last thing I want to do is burn through the paint. When I got the car it did have some holograms on the hood, so someone had used a machine on it at least once. I have polished it twice during my ownership, and even used compound on the trunk as it was especially bad. I will try to keep polishing to a minimum, its gets washed and spray waxed once every 1 to 2 weeks in an effort to keep the paint clean and add some level of protection. The Florida elements however, are not friendly to the paint. Frequent showers followed by glaring sun do a number on the paint and speed up oxidation. I polished it last year and give the paint frequent care but it still showed oxidation on all vertical surfaces, grant it, it wasn't awful but to my detailers eye it certainly bothered me. Maybe next time I'll try a cleaner wax by hand to see if that has enough power to get rid of the oxidation.

I know it's tough, but maybe try to not obsess over a perfect, scratch-free finish 365 days a year. Treat it to a polish once in a great while, but keep a good coat of sealant on it. Spray wax after every wash. That should make the paint last a long time without polishing right through it too quick.

Nice Shine, I have a 2005 Accord I try and keep up with. Started using Chemical Guys , good products but pricey ,catch it on sale....Labor Day,etc. When I have a good coat of protection I I have been Using Wax As You Dry from Eagle. I have a Miracle Grow sprayer fill it up after wash, it really is a sleeper at a cheap cost $6 a bottle ,with MG sprayer it makes a good wide pattern to cover with spray wax ,wipe dry.Good Protection along with a good base.

I think it would be great for the next owner who gets OP's car. Didn't OP upgrade his vehicle to get in to this one? The previous looked immaculate too.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
I know it's tough, but maybe try to not obsess over a perfect, scratch-free finish 365 days a year. Treat it to a polish once in a great while, but keep a good coat of sealant on it. Spray wax after every wash. That should make the paint last a long time without polishing right through it too quick.

This!

Here is my 5 year old Accord in gun metal gray. Not sure the durability on the white paint on Greg's Accord as I have not worked on this paint before. The gray is proving very durable. With 60,000 miles it has very little rock chips in it and very few scratches. It is holding up great and looks new and has never been polished:

My 08 Liberty when washed and waxed looks like new. I have not touched it with a cleaner wax, polish, or anything other than a clay bar, paint sealer, Collinite 476 or 845. IMO there's no reason to take something with an abrasive if there's no scratches or swirls. There's a finite amount of clear coat, and I want to keep as much of it as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Trav
It looks great but I wouldn't be polishing that paint to often. Hopefully the sealer helps protect the paint
thumbsup2.gif

Im sure it does a better job than nothing, but I used this product to seal it last year with reapplication every few months and Meguiars Ultimate spray wax every other week or so. It still hazed up to some degree
smirk.gif
Is polishing once a year too much? I know Taffeta White is THIN!

Yes its very thin paint. Once a year might be okay but keep an eye on the orange peel, if it starts to disappear in spots then don't polish it anymore, just clay and non abrasive wax as your close to smoking the paint.
Stay well clear of panel edges and ridges they will go right through.

+1 That was my initial fear given the polish regimen you mentioned other than that nice work. If you are looking to really maintain your leather I would give leatherique a try. It isn't the cheapest stuff but their cleaners and conditioners have done wonders and really maintain leather.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Here is my 5 year old Accord in gun metal gray. Not sure the durability on the white paint on Greg's Accord as I have not worked on this paint before. The gray is proving very durable. With 60,000 miles it has very little rock chips in it and very few scratches. It is holding up great and looks new and has never been polished:

This is probably my favorite color on the 8th gen sedan. You have the luxury of having a base / clear paint job. The Taffeta White is single stage and shows oxidation even with impeccable care.

Looks great.My 15 Civic has rock dings already.I was thinking of clay barring it but decided to just wash and chamois it and use turtle wax as often as possible. Been learning how to use the touch up kit. Gone through lots of 3M tape too.

So many armchair quarterbacks.........continue what you are doing, your paint looks great and your procedure is fine. Single stage paint does fade/oxidize over time regardless of color, it can't be helped. Nice work.

Wouldn't one of the high end sealant/coatings that leave an actual film on the paint be ideal for single stage paint? Optimum Gloss Coat, CarPro Cquartz, or others? The Critic knows about this stuff.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Wouldn't one of the high end sealant/coatings that leave an actual film on the paint be ideal for single stage paint? Optimum Gloss Coat, CarPro Cquartz, or others? The Critic knows about this stuff.

This and parking in a garage will lessen the oxidation greatly. Keeping one of the above sealants on the paint will certainly lessen damage the environment causes to the paint. But if the car sits outside 24/7, there is no product on the market that will fully stop deterioration/oxidation of the paint.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

As do I but it only prolongs it before oxidation begins once again. Considering the money involved it just isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back