Tire replacement cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.
$200 installed for a tire you are seeing for $150 seems high to me, even is the $200 is with tax, that seems like $30+ a tire to install.

I go to a local indy and bring in tires from DTD holiday sales. The indy charges $24 a tire to install + tax, which honestly is at least a few dollars higher than almost any place in this area and a lot higher than Mavis (chain store), but it's a quality shop I'm confident in. No worries about upsell, no wait if I make an appointment, and they stand behind their work.

That being said, you can likely easily save $100 or more if you wait till the DT / DTD Black Friday sales and possibly a good amount more depending on the manufacturer rebates. IIRC from the pics in your other thread you could easily make another 2 months IMO.

Ok guys I booked an appt for Tuesday at the local shop. I've been in contact with the manager and he seems very knowledgeable. Looking forward to having some nice tires on my ride
smile.gif
install includes balance, rotations, and all taxed and fees. $800 otd.

That's a good point on DT store saturation - I drove 40 miles on a new set of Eagle GT's - and stopped to eat. Then I noticed "the techs" had mounted the tires backwards. GPS told me next DT was 3 miles. They quickly flipped the tires by the time I finished a cup of coffee
wink.gif

The manager called the other store to let them know and avoid this silly stuff ...

One more thing, I think there is 2 lines of the P7.

Pirelli Cinturato All Season PLUS
&
Pirelli Cinturato All Season

From what I've read, you want the PLUS version. It'll say on the tire, it's the ones I've used.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

&

From what I've read, you want the PLUS version. It'll say on the tire, it's the ones I've used.

Good. I am getting the Plus variant. How many miles did you put on your Pirelli's and how did they wear? That is my greatest concern.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

I suppose I am of the camp where I believe the benefits of frequent tire rotation are slight but that is a different thread.

I agree, frequent rotations in lieu of every say 10,000+ miles, all comes out the same in the end

Originally Posted By: gregk24

&

Good. I am getting the Plus variant. How many miles did you put on your Pirelli's and how did they wear? That is my greatest concern.
I put 12k miles on my VWs Pirellis, then parked it for 4 months then sold it. Tread wear was not really noticeable.

Here's some pics I just went out and took of the 2013 VW Beetle TDI's Pirellis. Somewhere around 10k miles on them, never rotated. Never will be rotated either, VW is buying it back in November.
First pic is a front tire, second pic is a rear.

Looks like a bit of wear on the front, but they still have a ton of tread.
53p6rq.jpg

2efkfaa.jpg

I paid $700 last summer for same tires installed by regional tire chain in 215/45/17 size h rated for a turbo legacy wagon.

$800 seems a tad steep.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I will throw in the 2cents that you get what you pay for in terms of "free" lifetime rotations.
Every chain I've been to that offers this ends up having a 3-4 hour turnaround time to get taken care of.
You are guarenteed that since they're not getting any money from you they're looking to do this as cheap as possible; i.e. you get the unmotivated high school dropout kid rotating your tires with minimum care.

I've since switched to an independent who does charge $15 for rotations; or only free with other wheel related service (e.g. brakes) or discounted with an oil change for example. but for this payment you get an appointment and in and out of there quickly.
I suppose I am of the camp where I believe the benefits of frequent tire rotation are slight but that is a different thread.

not at costco
first come first served, tire rotationa and balance in about 1 hour

If your getting a one hour turn-a-round at CostCo consider yourself lucky. Decent prices on name brand (i.e. expensive tires to begin with) and IMHO about the worst place to try to get tire maintenance done.

What size of 17" tire? I paid a hair over $500 and got $200 back in rebates on a set of Coopers in 215/55-17 earlier this summer from DTD. With installation, roadforce balance, and alignment at a local indy, it was $480 out the door.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

&

I put 12k miles on my VWs Pirellis, then parked it for 4 months then sold it. Tread wear was not really noticeable.

Here's some pics I just went out and took of the 2013 VW Beetle TDI's Pirellis. Somewhere around 10k miles on them, never rotated. Never will be rotated either, VW is buying it back in November.
First pic is a front tire, second pic is a rear.

Looks like a bit of wear on the front, but they still have a ton of tread.
53p6rq.jpg

2efkfaa.jpg

That seems like a good bit of loss of sipes in only 10000 miles. I wonder how they will be at 40000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back