2015 Accord Air Filter-Appears Oily

Status
Not open for further replies.

akv

I have a 2015 Honda Accord V6. The filter had oily residue at 12,000 miles and was dirtier that filters in my other cars at similar miles.

I do not typically drive in dusty areas.

When I had it at the dealer and asked about this, they told me that it was normal and said that Honda sometimes oils filters at the factory. I am skeptical that this was shipped with oil on the paper element from the factory.

Thoughts?

Dealer left the car unlocked and someone/employee put their dirty one in your current car possibly. Then they get fresh new filter for their car.

Satin-That's what you would think, but I pulled it a few weeks ago. Because I wasn't at the end of the maintenance minder OCI, I replaced it with a Wix filter. The new one already has a bit of residue after 1500 miles.

My filter looks like that every time I change it, approx. Every 30k miles

My car is a 13 accord I4 6MT, though.

Nothing to worry about. My 2013 Accord V-6 air filter was the same way. Replace it when MM says to replace.

The air filter is the most downstream part of the intake on an Accord right

In other words, the PCV hoses don't connect to the air box right?

Honda OEM engine air filters are slightly oiled, my 2004 S2000 came with oiled filter too. Honda think that slightly oiled filter is a little more efficient.

On my Fit the OEM filters aren't oiled at all.

That streak of black tarry oil is from the PCV tube, 100% normal.

It is for environmental reasons, the PCV vapors are burned. They pass through the air filter beforehand making the filter a bit dirty looking.

I don't remember my Pilot and Accord having oiled OEM filters; or maybe I just never noticed.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
just replaced the air filter on my wifes 2010 crv with a genuine honda filter and yes it was slightly oiled in the package

The blue side of my CRV and MDX factory filters seem to be oiled to me, the white sides are dry.

The OEM Honda AF I purchased for an 07 Accord and posted with pics HERE had an oily feel to the media. Also it was wrapped in cello which had a slightly oily feel on the filter side.

Based on that, I'd say a lightly oiled media feel is normal for Honda OEM AFs.

Yes, some OEM air filters are oiled, like many late-mdoel Hondas. It makes me wonder why Fram and Purolator don''t offer TG and P1 lightly-oiled air filters for these applications!
crazy2.gif

Don't worry, it's nowhere near as much oil as K&N uses, so your MAF is safe
smile.gif

The filter looks like it was dropped on a dirty floor.

As said, some OEM's are oiled and some aren't.

I gave the oiled P1 a try in my Jeep and am going on 2 years. The more I thought about it, the more I felt the oil was just a marketing thing. The oil doesn't trap the dirt.. the media does so I guess I don't see it's purpose. Somewhat reminds me of the tea strainer Fram used to put in the TG.

I'll probably go back to just a plain paper filter next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back