Ford 4.6 timing guides

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I understand, the 2000-2003 4.6's can have an issue with the guides. What was the failure rate? 1%, 5%, darn near all?

what is a timing guide?

are you talking about the timing chain tensioner and guides?

Fords of that era.. numerous engines had issues..

the 4.0 was very well known for that.

Timing chain guides eventually wear out.. so the issue is really premature wear?

I did tons of the guides, mostly police cars with lots of idle time.
The parts up dated to newer stuff and that fixed most.
If you pop the drivers side valve cover you can't miss it. The chain wears through the plastic and starts to eat the white metal under the plastic. Very easy fix

My bad, timing chain guide.

I thought the timing cover had to come off? Several hours of work. Assuming it wasn't driven for real long, in which case it could be worse. IIRC this vintage was known for prematurely wearing out--like before 100k.

What was different with the 1997-1999? I never did a thing to my 1997 Lincoln 4.6L and it went to 230K miles before other problems killed it.

I put 218K on my 96 Merc GM 4.6 and the timing chain had no noise at all. What is important for the guides is proper lubrication. If heavy varnish occurs and block the oil from lubricating the guides, then you have failure. I used M1 10-30 in my Merc, so I was confident my engine remained clean. Their was no oil blockage.

Originally Posted By: MiKe3o
I did tons of the guides, mostly police cars with lots of idle time.
The parts up dated to newer stuff and that fixed most.
If you pop the drivers side valve cover you can't miss it. The chain wears through the plastic and starts to eat the white metal under the plastic. Very easy fix

Sorry
Remove that side to see if you need to replace them. Then the front cover if needed.
The story was that the chains got lubed from a hole in the tensioner and ran down into the guide. Cop cars limos taxis with all the idling ate them up but only in those few years. Once they were fixed with the updated parts the failure rates dropped.

See TSB 03-15-7. Copy here, best I can find for it so far. Seems to be common knowledge, shows up on "what is the best year for Crown Vic's".

Originally Posted By: supton
See TSB 03-15-7. Copy here, best I can find for it so far. Seems to be common knowledge, shows up on "what is the best year for Crown Vic's".

It doesn't say anything about the Lincoln 4.6L engines. Mine is a 4.6L-4v. Probably doesn't apply.

I don't think I've seen issues on the 4V's, although it's not a motor I've been interested in, so I haven't looked.

Not as many issues on the 4V motors, but there were still some. Just sold all the of chains, guides, tensioners, and arms to a shop for a Lincoln Aviator.

Had a 2001 VIC with about 120K miles on the odometer and the timing chain guides were 90% shot. Seriously, if you have a vehicle in this range, timing chain guides and replacement of the all plastic intake is a must for these vehicle IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back