lucas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Figured yall might enjoy this, forgot to post it a while back. Theres a guy I work with, he drives an '08 F250 with the 5.4 Triton engine. I asked him what kind of oil he uses, and he said Lucas, so I just laughed and asked him how much. He uses 6 quarts per oil change, and the engine takes 7. He says its stops the valves from "clattering", I told him its cam phaser noise, he wont hear of it, he says anything thinner than Lucas and it doesnt run right. I told him how its way too thick, especially in winter and it has no additives. In his defense of Lucas, he told me to hold open my hand and he proceeded to dump a drop in my hand, and said "look how thick that is now tell that me how that wont last longer than regular old oil". I got a good laugh at that. Pulled up to the shop the other day and his work truck (2001 dodge with the 5.9 Magnum V8) was smoking white like crazy out the exhaust, he had just poured a can of Seafoam straight down the throttle body as he claims it was running rough(it was running fine before). He still doesnt understand why I gave him the nickname Snake Oil. Just thought I'd share this story with you guys.

Easy to sell people have little to no thought process on their own.They are vulnerable to outside forces.Very fickle.That guy will probably be an easy sell to a cult or local "militia" if one came along.

Wow. Some people... What really irritates me is when you REALLY try to prove to someone that something IS bad for their vehicle. Then dumb luck usually assists them in making you look like a fool. For example, a relative is a retired (now service manager/paper pusher) ASE master tech of 20+ years. He swears by Lucas. I try to explain and he laughs. But his '02 Nissan Frontier has ~350,000 miles on it (using GTX/Lucas) and is STILL his DD. It won't quit. So he's "Lucas for Life." I know Lucas won't be THE reason for any failure, but how do you convince someone like him that it's not helping? He has the "proof" in his mileage. I've given up long ago, but still. Smh...

I guess at the end of the day, as long as you take care of a vehicle and get high mileage like that out of it, who am I to say he's wrong?
21.gif

Its like how people swear black and blue changing ATF fluid will cause transmission failure...

Or changing less than 3K/months will kill your engine quick

Or that "black oil = bad oil"

Or even that "new ovens are hotter than old ones."

Newer member here, what is the deal on Lucas oil, the ''pro'' and the ''con? And member Tony, perhaps your friend is somewhat like me----don't fix nothing that ain't broke......hard to argue with success.

widetrax, lucas is garbage, their advertising, right down to the words and phrases they use on their bottles and products, is gimmicky, the owner, Forrest Lucas, even looks like a crook, in my opinion.

The only Lucas product I use is their Slickmist Wax.

The same guy I work with also owned a pushboat and a barge before the oilfield got bad last year. The boat had a 6-71 Detroit in it. He claims that the engine got so hot once that it burnt all the paint off the walls in the engine room, and the only thing salvageable was the crankshaft. When the mechanic tore the engine down and asked him what the sticky stuff was all over the crank, he told him Lucas. the mechanic told him thats what saved the crank. I'm not buying into that story.

Don't overlook the "communication work load".

A gal in a parking lot needed oil in her Nissan REAL BAD. The stick was 100% dry.

She also said she was overdue for an oil and filter change.

I wanted to throw my "emergency old oil" (good, used 0W-20) into her engine and run it for 5 minutes then do a proper oil change.

The amount of talking and selling (for no profit really) would have been mountainous. Not worth it.

I just kept quiet and watched her pour in 3 quarts of new expensive oil. Kira

Originally Posted By: B320i
Its like how people swear black and blue changing ATF fluid will cause transmission failure...

My family believes all three of these (well they might let the oil go longer..) so I'm not allowed to change the transmission fluid at all which needs to be replaced and if I see black oil, it immediately has to be changed

People should probably specify what product they are talking about. "Lucas" is a company, not a product. They make synth motor oil as well as an oil stabilizer and top cyl lubricant.

When "Lucas is garbage" is asserted, they are probably talking about the oil stabilizer. It appears it is asserted here, then followed up by mention of the use of another one of their products.

Many people feel the UCL is a good product; i've never used it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it is not good to paint with a broad brush. I don't use any Lucas products, but there is probably a few decent products in their stable of items.

There are good and bad Lucas products. Already mentioned Wax, and their Synthetic 2-stroke oil is OK ... I did not say it was equal to Motul or anything, but it's OK.

So you just have to go along with the flow. Some folks believe that mobil1 is superior ... It's just a good oil, but they are diehards
laugh.gif

Yeah, there's an awful lot of "expert" misconceptions. My neighbor, who is 63, and hardly ever worked a day in his life, is constantly giving me car advise. Probably the only real job he ever had was a very short Stent at autozone, which if you're not aware, makes you an expert on auto mechanics. He's always giving me little gems of advise, like, "you can't go back and forth between dino and syn oil, without damaging the engine" or that "transmission and rear ends were never designed to use syn gear lube". He's got a ton of advise, I only wish I could have gone to AutoZone University, so I too, could have a doctorate in bulls@%t. He also thinks oil products like Rislone, STP, and Lucas are miracle cures for whatever ills you car might have.

LOL! If nothing else, this website proves that you go from syn to dino to semisyn back and forth for the life of a car with zero issues. And expensive oils don't necessarily equate to better oils. The current (and upcoming) oils specs are so tight that the gap between between dino and full syn is quite narrow.

"Lucas" to me means green boxes with questionable quality electrical components, and standing on the side of the road cursing
smile.gif

I know they're totally separate components, but I still have trouble using anything with the name
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: B320i

Or even that "new ovens are hotter than old ones."

I was talking to someone at a local garage the other day that does a lot with MGs. I was talking to the owner owner-who is THE MG guy there at the shop, and one of the other mechanics had seen my Lincoln out front and asked me if I had the 3.9. He proceeded to tell me how much of a piece of [censored] it was(150K on the clock, you could eat off the valves, it doesn't use a drop of oil, and I've done nothing internal to it but change the coils and plugs). He said he was factory trained on them and that you had to drop the engine and trans out from the bottom(true) and that they were "terrible" on oil. I said I was running Mobil 1 20W-50 which got a nod of approval from him, but then made the mistake of mentioning that I ran it for 10K. "You still should change it every 3000 miles"(the factory interval is 5K).

A little later, I was discussing the engine work with the owner of the shop on an MGA I'm seriously considering buying. I was running through a metal tally and mentioned the cost of a cam. This same guy laughed and said "I just spent have of that on a cam that'll do 1500 horses." My only response was "This ain't no small block Chevy."

I know a lot of truckers that put Lucas oil stabilizer in the oil and swear by it.I run it in my Harley gear box and primary and it shifts really smooth.It does leave a snot like film behind that's very slippery.I also run there synthetic oil in my Harleys engine and get very good uoa's.The important thing is to change it when your supposed to.

I find a lot of people think something is beneficial (and "swear by it") because it does no harm. They equate that with being beneficial.

Don't believe everything you think.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I find a lot of people think something is beneficial (and "swear by it") because it does no harm. They equate that with being beneficial.

Definitely..
When in reality we all know given this example, you could swear by any oil because all of them work fine. Some better than others, but the average Joe will never notice the difference.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

This. People believe that the tackifier in Lucas is beneficial because it gives the visual "cling". This is present in chainsaw bar oil for obvious reasons. It is not a requirement nor beneficial in engine oil, if it was, it would be included. But it makes for GREAT marketing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back