Speedometer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I got my first speeding ticket yesterday in over a decade. 65 in a 55, which I thought impossible since my cruise was set at 60. Low and behold my speedo is reading 5 mph SLOWER than my acutal speed, no matter what speed. My wife followed me tonight in the Avenger. 60 was really 65, 30 was 35, ect. I'm not sure whether the speed sensor is going out or if the cluster is going. Anyone have any ideas? This is on the 2007 Chrysler 300C 109k miles.

so the mileage on the car is probably not accurate either.. What are you doing about the ticket?
The last tickets i got i was in High school... Not to say i slowed down at all it's just different now lol
Scan it before you change anything. Is it analog?

There's probably nothing I can do but beg the DA for a reduction, NY is a ridiculous police state. Who ever said go to court and fight it and it will get thrown out is full of [censored]. The speedo is analog but there's also a digital readout in the EVIC. Stock 225/60/18 tires on it so that can't be it. Unless someone put gears in it. Lol.

There's no conflicting data between the analog and digital read out. They're dead on with each other. Something isn't right, there's an extended warranty on the thing but I don't really want it there and be out a car.

I got a ticket just like that about 7 years ago. I fought it and lost even though I had the problem corrected. Even showed the Judge the receipt for the work done. Mine was due to oversize tires.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I got a ticket just like that about 7 years ago. I fought it and lost even though I had the problem corrected. Even showed the Judge the receipt for the work done. Mine was due to oversize tires.

There's no honesty or compassion in the courts or state any more. It's all about the money they can rake in.
smirk.gif

On a 10 year old car with over 100,000 miles on it I'm not sure I'd worry much about it. Most vehicles' speedometers are off by a little-our STS registers about 1 MPH faster according to the Garmin GPS and the radar road construction zone signs. I usually check mine a couple times each year by setting the cruise at 60 and marking the time between mile markers-if it's one minute then the speedometer is reasonably accurate. If mine were off significantly I'd just make allowances when driving, unless it fails completely.

The speed limit signs on the interstate road construction work zones that showed your actual speed were also quite nice to calibrate the speedometer-I had never seen those until we were in a couple states that have them.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

Since you knew that you had oversize tires, you should have known that the speedometer was off and made allowances for it. Ignorance isn't an excuse.

I have received two tickets in my time and both from ct. I just fill out that I am not guilty online and both times the tickets were nulled. Pretty surprising since one ticket was for 60 in a 45. Ct has some really slow speed limits on back roads compared to ny which is usually 55. I would fight the ticket and see what happens. If you do get a court date keep bumping the date until its dropped.

Have you checked with a car specific forum? That's definitely odd. The analog spedo is fed the same digital signal as the display. Comes from either the engine computer, or the body computer.

Ok, did some searching. Apparently there are 2 speed sensors in the transmission. Didn't find anything that directly relates to your car, but apparently the computer needs to be reprogrammed to correct for different tire sizes, so it can be done.

Hope this helps some.

Weird that it's that far off. I'd use a GPS to confirm that your other car isn't off in the other direction--one up by 2.5 and the other down by 2.5 sounds more reasonable. Unfortunately, cruising at 60 in a 55 didn't help either. You're kinda stuck. Hopefully it's a cheap ticket with no insurance complications.

Cheapest fix is a GPS with speed readout. I like my Garmins for this. No it's not always correct at posting the limit (as they change with road construction etc)--but it's usually correct, and besides, the real point is to have a true speed readout.

Bummer.

Defiantly check it to a GPS. My Genesis Coupe was 2 mph fast and the odo was too though not sure of the rate, seems .5 mile per 10 miles. So I put on larger tires, taller by an inch. That got the speedo right on the money but the odo is slow and I have to correct by 1.05 time the odo reading.

I've also used the seconds per mile and the mile makers providing you can find a straight stretch of road.

Maybe your tires are slightly taller than the original tires, even though they're the same tire size.

I say this because of my experience with a Silverado. I got a Hypertech programmer and started playing with tire sizes after replacing the original set. The stock setting was 30 inches, but the tires measured less than that. I figured the height by measuring circumference. The result was about 1/2" shorter by measuring one revolution on the truck vs. measuring around an unloaded tire, too. That translates to about 1.6" less travel per revolution, and 3" less than a 30" tire.

With my current tires and the computer set to 29" the speedometer is right on when I pass mobile radar signs. The truck also had always seemed to hold first gear longer than it needed to. Once I corrected for the actual tire size, it started shifting earlier in normal driving.

I don't guess any of that will help with your ticket. Going forward, GPS is probably the easiest way to watch your speed without a dedicated programmer.

Yeah, I don't know if the tires would make be off that much. I may have found the problem, there's a noise in the speedo when I performed the cluster diagnostic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back