Frantz oil filter for a Ford 5R110

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I apologize if the question has already been answered, but has anyone run a Frantz filter on a Ford 5R110 transmission or similiar? From what I've read all I need to do is drill out the restrictions, and plumb it into the return line from the oil cooler to trans. As I have found some very cheap NOS Frantz I've started to think of using them as a trans filter on my 2009 Ford F350, but am not sure if the flow rate would be enough. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Said units:)

You may be able to run one in some sort of bypass setup for the transmission, I would have to sit down and think about the best way to do it so it get the benefits of the filter without hindering flow or causing pressure issues on the pump.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You may be able to run one in some sort of bypass setup for the transmission, I would have to sit down and think about the best way to do it so it get the benefits of the filter without hindering flow or causing pressure issues on the pump.

Yes I have heard of using a T line for bypass filters on the line to the cooler, but this setup is more like a full flow just using the Frantz system. Not sure if it would flow enough fluid to keep up with cooling demands? I might contact Frantz and see, as the do advertise this as a trans filter as well.

This sounds like one of those projects that could backfire and destroy a transmission instead of helping anything.. while adding complexity and multiple fail points.

Ford used NTZ sub-micron filters in bypass setup for years for that very transmission. Set it up a bypass, and your transmission will never know the difference, except things will be alot cleaner.

Bypass is the best way, because restriction does not matter. You could plug the whole filter entirely, and your transmission will never skip a beat.

A310,

Give us a call at 1-800-341-6516 and Don or Mike can get you the information you need buddy.

We (Hot Shot's Secret/Lubrication Specialties Inc) acquired Frantz Filters back in 2014, I havent seen any transmission installations myself but Don is super knowledgeable and Mike runs the Frantz Filter brand for us.

It'd be a good place to get some questions answered.

Thanks for the replies. I'll run these units I have on my engine oil for a while and due some more research on using the Frantz as a trans filter. I probably will make it a bypass as then I don't have to worry about the filter flow or plugging up. I will post if I decide to install one.:) Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back