Oil filter FL820s or Napa Gold or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am sure this has been covered before but thought I would ask. I have a 2001 Ford E450 SuperDuty with a Triton V10 6.8L Class C RV. Gas, not Diesel. So far we have mainly used NAPA Gold oil filters with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. After doing some research it seems to be that Motorcraft FL820s is suggested, but there are so many different opinions. I am due an oil change again and want to go with what's best for the engine. A lot of sites I read, people were concerned about cost. Well, since it is an RV it is only a once a year investment for the oil change, so not to concerned about cost, especially considering it is only a couple of Dollars in between the oil filters. I probably will only put another 1000 miles if that on her in the next couple of month before she goes in storage.
Thanks
Sonja

Welcome. I'd say that it's hard to go wrong with any of those filters that you suggested. Pick any one and use it with confidence!

There have been issues with the Purolator made Motorcraft FL820S filters(media tearing, ADV ripped). Search on the forum here for some examples.
If your not concerned with cost, I would just get a Fram Ultra, but the Napa Gold (WIX) filter is a fine choice also.
Or try a Microgreen filter (wait for one of their 1/2 off or BOGO sales).

Welcome to the best motor oil site ever..
Personally i would stay away from the Motorcraft oil filter there have been reports of tearing and other issues.. Fram Ultra is a good filter at a good price it is the one i use. Napa gold as long as they did not change since the last time i used them are pretty good also but the ultra also has synthetic media.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
There have been issues with the Purolator made Motorcraft FL820S filters(media tearing, ADV ripped). Search on the forum here for some examples.
If your not concerned with cost, I would just get a Fram Ultra, but the Napa Gold (WIX) filter is a fine choice also.
Or try a Microgreen filter (wait for one of their 1/2 off or BOGO sales).

+1

The oil you use if far more important than the filter you use. There are millions of Ford engines using the 820 with success.

Use the best oil and the best filter....and that isn't the FL820S. Use one of the others as they are head and shoulders a better filter....and give you easily 2X the life.

NAPA Gold filters(wix) are VERY WELL BUILT. I would trust them up to 12k miles.

Mobil1 has better filtration, AND is good for 15k miles.

Use the best oil(which you are) and just determine your OCI and pick one based on that. Oil filters don't do a whole lot, most wear occurs below 20 microns anyway. Dirt comes in through the air filter, a very important filter.

The most important thing for a oil filter is it stays together, does not bypass all the time, and has holes or slots in the center tube(NO E-cores or flash), and isn't a "TearOlator".

Last edited:
Royal Purple 20-820 I bet the best and would change by millage and forget time two three years easy

Originally Posted By: CT8
The most important filter on an engine is the air filter.

We have a winner. Best post in the thread.

A little rip in oil filter media doesn't matter, the oil is still getting filtered, just takes a ding on efficiency. And your oil filter shouldn't be doing much if the engine is broken in and the air path is sealed and filtered well.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: dave123
Royal Purple 20-820

lol. A fool and his money...
It's only money I will never tell you how to spend yours I just state what the op wants as the best.

A little rip in oil filter media doesn't matter, the oil is still getting filtered, just takes a ding on efficiency.
Yeah, because everyone should buy a filter that may have a little rip, right?

OP, if it were mine, I would buy a FRAM Ultra XG2 and be done with it. I used this filter with Mobil 1 AFE and Mobil 1 EP on a 2010 5.4L for 15-17K miles and the results were perfect. You can search for my posts with pictures.

A little rip in oil filter media doesn't matter, the oil is still getting filtered, just takes a ding on efficiency. And your oil filter shouldn't be doing much if the engine is broken in and the air path is sealed and filtered well.
Can you explain to us why you would recommend a filter that would rip is ripped or possibly could rip we would love to know when the op asked for the absolute best filter he can find.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Welcome to the best motor oil site ever..

That's right, the best motor oil site of subjective opinions unsupported by factual information.

Back to the subject though, the big block chevy you've got can outlive you, your children and grandchildren. Since you are changing oil/oil filter once a year any cellulose filter will do just fine. Just keep changing both oil and filter.

Not exactly a winner.

You are correct about a small tear in the oil filter. Its unwelcomed but not catastropic.

Air filters actually become more efficient as they partially fill. Over changing air filters with brand new ones can actually decrease engine life to a small degree. Its been quantified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back