Bluetooth SMS for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched from my 2013 vintage Nokia Lumia 521 Windows Phone to the new Moto G4 Play. Yes, I buy budget phones. One of the great things about Windows Phone is that right out of the box it has the functionality of announcing text messages, reading them, and allowing voice reply when connected to Bluetooth. I have done a lot of web search and tried about ten different Android apps and none of them works for me with the Bluetooth connection in my 2012 Mazda3.

Does anyone have any experience with Android apps that offer this functionality? It certainly doesn't appear to be included in the "pure Android" that comes on the G4 Play. The apps I've tried were ones mentioned in Android forums, plus a few that looked like they might work, but didn't.

I don't believe this is a native Android function. It's one I often wish I had though.

Best bet would be to find an app that does it.

You've just described the main reason I've stayed with Windows Phone. The voice-controlled texting and calling functionality through Bluetooth does exactly what I need it to do, and I haven't found anything in the Android environment that comes close.

I tried Android again in July and that functionality really hasn't improved since I switched to WP a couple of years ago. I was back to my old Lumia within a month.

I was afraid of that. That is the same thing I'm discovering. My Lumia was just too slow. I thought about going with a better WP, but the app market is so sparse compared to Android. Plus, with less than 2℅ of the phone OS market I'm not sure how long it'll be viable. The feature was nice, but not a deal breaker for me. At least now I can get the apps I actually use that were discontinued on WP. Maybe a future Android update or new app will do a decent job at Bluetooth SMS.

That was weird. My post above should have stated that Windows Phone accounts for less than 3% of the phone OS market.

I guess the best I can do for now is if I get a text I can reach down to the phone, hit the power button, and say, "OK, Google, read me my most recent text message." It works with Bluetooth and doesn't require taking my eyes off the road. This works on Android 6.0. I read through the updated features that will come with 7.0 and the Windows Phone message functionality still isn't there.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I guess the best I can do for now is if I get a text I can reach down to the phone, hit the power button, and say, "OK, Google, read me my most recent text message."

FYI, you can set it up so that the phone will respond to "OK, Google..." commands even without having to hit the power button first.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I guess the best I can do for now is if I get a text I can reach down to the phone, hit the power button, and say, "OK, Google, read me my most recent text message."

FYI, you can set it up so that the phone will respond to "OK, Google..." commands even without having to hit the power button first.

I checked on this and that functionality is only available on certain phones. Mine is not one of them. But, I tried the thing out in the car today and it didn't work anyway. It works with my Bluetooth headset, though.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I checked on this and that functionality is only available on certain phones. Mine is not one of them. But, I tried the thing out in the car today and it didn't work anyway. It works with my Bluetooth headset, though.

Even on my Nexus 6, it's response to OK.Google when the screen isn't active is spotty at best.

Asking Google to read my text messages does not always bring up the most recent ones. I've had it bring up messages I already deleted. I'll just have to keep watching the Google Play store for new or improved voice texting apps. Worst case, I'll just give up on that capability. I didn't use it much and I rarely ever replied, even though I could do it by voice. It was just, you know, cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back