Android 7 Nougat out.(nexus devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People with the developer preview of android 7 are getting the OTA
to the final version of 7 now. IF you sign up for the developer preview they will
instantly OTA you the final version of Nougat.
Well at least they did for my nexus 5x.

Took about 45min to download the 1.2GB image..
my internet is 7MB/sec so its just a slow download.

about 30-40min to fully install optimize apps etc.

Edit: Someone just posted an article about it.
http://lifehacker.com/skip-the-line-and-upgrade-your-nexus-to-android-nougat-1785653449

Thanks for the heads up!
thumbsup2.gif
I'll go ahead and upgrade my 5X.

Well after one day I thought I would report in.

The phone seems smoother, scrolling works better, bluetooth works better.

Battery life is hard to tell after 1 day.. but seems at least minorly better... maybe 10-15% less use.
Everything seems abit snappier.

It was not a fresh install.. still have 60apps on there.

Mine's been downloading for an hour now on a 20 Mbps connection, and it's still not done. Google servers must be overloaded...

So, did you guys unenroll from the beta program right after Nougat finished installing with no ill effects?

The beta program mentions your device will be wiped if you unenroll, but then other websites say you "should" be fine here because this is not a beta release. Just wanted to hear what your experience was...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Mine's been downloading for an hour now on a 20 Mbps connection, and it's still not done. Google servers must be overloaded...

Right mine took an hour on a 55Mbit connection.. servers are throttled.

So, did you guys unenroll from the beta program right after Nougat finished installing with no ill effects?

The beta program mentions your device will be wiped if you unenroll, but then other websites say you "should" be fine here because this is not a beta release. Just wanted to hear what your experience was...

Yes its fine to unenroll since its a final version of nougat it wont wipe your phone.

I'm actually really liking it. Nothing major changed.. no major flaws/bugs so far. A few added features. And the best part.. smoother web browsing. Battery life seems to be at least 5-10% better.

The bluetooth works better with my car.. and amazon prime music.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Yes its fine to unenroll since its a final version of nougat it wont wipe your phone.

So, have you un-enrolled?

Battery life is hard to tell after 1 day.. but seems at least minorly better... maybe 10-15% less use.

So far I have not noticed any improvement in battery life. If anything, it appears worse.

So far I have not noticed any improvement in battery life. If anything, it appears worse.

Looks like "Android OS" and "Android System" are the top two consumers of my battery.

After a few days with it I have an altered opinion/facts.

My battery life is better when the phone is left alone.. and about the same when using it.. worse if you periodically check it.. like every 15-30min.

You can install a battery tool such as Gsam battery monitor.. but in android 7.0 it doesnt work like in 6.0 where it could give you all the app power use without root.

For example.. randomly checking the phone it often says battery life remaining aprox 48 hours
remaining (based on power drain of last 5min)where with the previous OS it would be more like 72 hours remaining..

Meaning it doesnt idle down as low a power.. but after it goes into Doze it gets all the way upto 125hours remaining etc.

Really hasnt been an issue with me so far.
I'd say overall the battery life depends on type of use but it can be slightly worse than 6.0
I really like how much smoother and less "laggy" it is.

This is with me barely using the phone, mostly just checking periodically, like every 1-2 hours.

Total time used to be around 3 days on 6.0. Granted, this is not very scientific...

Screenshot_20160901-123556.png

also have you considered they might have changed the battery life algorithm... its more accurate perhaps?

Algorithm aside, on 6, I could actually make it 3 full days without having to connect it to a charger. On 7, so far I can't.

BTW, which battery app are you using?

Gsam, its not as good as in 6, 7 blocks info.. such as individual app power use unless you are rooted.

So far to me it seems like it doesnt kick down as fast as 6.

Then again in 6 I'd occasionally get periods where it wouldn't get data updates..
ie hangout msg from 45min before would suddenly appear when I would "wake" the phone

hasnt happened in 7 so far.. It appears it does need abit of tweaking.. but so far.. I'll take it.

Disabling location improves resting battery life quite abit.
I had it on battery saver location and being totally off is considerably better.
In android 6 it wasnt that big a difference.

Anyone else using wi-fi assistant?

Its got a great feature where it connects you to open wifi then uses a VPN to google
automatically.

Quick update on my battery life...

The other day, I noticed that upon upgrading to 7, the "OK, Google" detection option got automatically changed to "Always on", which means the mic is always hot, continuously analyzing sounds, listening for that key word, even if the screen is off and device is locked. I disabled it 2 day ago and am seeing some improvement in battery life, even though "Android OS" is still the #1 consumer of my battery, which according to the above reddit link should not be the case. But it looks like I'll able to make it 3 days again without charging, with limited phone use, just like before upgrading to 7.

Sometimes stuff sticks on.

I was having 5%/hr drain because it wouldnt doze.. I came home from work with 43% battery with 30min screen on... and it was just browsing and email.. no games.

Next day I was at 1.3%/hr and came home with 84% with same use.

I forgot to turn off full blown location services (high accuracy) and my phone wouldnt doze and it was at 9.5%/hr.

After 4 hours I went on break and had 50% battery.

So its kind of hit or miss. If I turn off bluetooth, location services I can be as low as 1.2% per hour or even lower if I dont check the phone periodically.

I signed up for the 7.1.1 beta.. so I'll report back after a few days of observing.

Screenshot_20161019-205945.png

http://wccftech.com/how-to-install-npf10c-android-7-1-on-nexus-6p-nexus-5x/

My battery life is still pretty bad. Now that some time has passed, I can report that turning off OK Google detection hasnt't helped much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back