Do You Shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never shaken an oil bottle in my life.

What do all you shakers think it is that "settles?" It ISN'T oil or additives; that leaves dirt AKA silicon AKA rock or metals.

Look at Shannow's posting on page 2 here:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3533589/2

I think it's been a year and a half or so, I called the PQIA and asked for an ASTM or API specification for cleanliness of new oil? The fellow told me he'd never been asked that question before and did not have an answer.

I have access at my employer to ASTM documents in a searchable database. It is my opinion that there ARE NO STANDARDS for cleanliness of new motor oil. Anyone is free to "call" me on this, but I'm not interested in opinion. If you can't reference a specification number, then just admit I'm right. BTW, I don't particularly WANT to be right...

I don't care either way but you have to wonder with all the clean freaks here if you are not putting settled debris-contaminants back into the oil by shaking it? Might be good to re-filter it if you're worried which can easily be done
many ways. We strained new paint right from the can and also boxed several cans so as to retain a true color.
You never know.

You have a point.
If the add pack is delivered in a highly solvent Grp I oil and is then blended into a Grp II, III, IV and V basestock blend with complete co-solvency, then I don't think that what one sees in the bottom of the bottle is a part of the add pack.
It's more likely contaminants, kind of like the sediment you find in some young red wines.
I myself have never shaken an oil container and none of the UOAs I've posted look at all light in additive levels as compared to VOAs of the same oils.
Since additives are measured in ppm, you wouldn't need to lose much to have a measurable difference.

I don't think I've shaken oil bottles since the 1980s and I think that modern oils hold everything in suspension pretty well. I'd agree with the idea of a kind of particulate sediment that seems to appear in some 5 qt. jugs I've bought. Very small amounts and not something that seems to be related to additives or something coming out of suspension.

No shake, but I do turn the 4 or 5qt upside down the day before an oil change. It ends up sitting normal arse down for at least 5 min.

I shake it up. If I remember the night before I change my oil I turn the bottles upside down, and then shake them good before pouring them in the engine.

I only GENTLY shake the one quart bottles, upside down.

I DO NOT shake aggressively, that puts air bubbles into the oil. Always drip to the last drop.

Please guys at least attempt to do I right.

stirred-not-shaken-298x223.jpg

I once had a couple cases of Quaker State Ultimate Durability back when it came in clear bottles. I could clearly see separation in some of the bottles. I've shaken ever since.

I have shaken all oil bottles inverted prior to use. Especially after I once called Mobil Oil, years ago, to ask about shelf-life. The guy I spoke with said he was an oil engineer, and he strongly recommended that the bottles be shaken up, especially if they had been sitting for a long time. He explained the concept (new news to me!) about oil additive drop-out in all oils to some degree or another, and how it was important to assure that all the ingredients I was paying for got into the crankcase. So, from that day to this, I shake 'em up!

P. S. Dealers and other oil change places that use bulk oil tanks probably? experience additive drop-out in their bulk tanks (that probably can't be agitated) so if I can't change my own oil, I take my own shaken oil with me for them to use in my car{s}.

Last edited:
I shake at the end. Since my oil sits for a while (my last car oil change the oil was sitting on the shelf for 4 years with minimal movement), my bottles tend to have a bit of something on the bottom. I add the bottle but don't let it sit for more than a second or so once done. I set it upright, finish the others, then starting with the first one, shake it till the stuff is redissolved. Then I take that and pour it in the next bottle and repeat. I end up with some dark oil by the last bottle.
I have always wondered what the stuff at the bottom of the bottle was. Is it useful additives that have settled out or is it very fine grit/silicone/debris that has settled out? I have felt it and there is no feel to it, just feels like oil. If it is settled debris, it is fine enough that I am not worried about it, if it is additives, then I am getting it all.

Originally Posted By: mjk
No. What happens to your oil during the first revolution of the engine?

I think the question is about the possibility of additive dropout occurring in the bottles as they sit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back